Lye on Clearance

JacquiO

I went to Lowe's yesterday and found the Roebic 2lb lye was on clearance for $6.19.

I purchased four but now I'm upset. I don't know if they're clearancing to clear out old stock or because they don't plan on carrying it any more which means having to resort to the internet and paying shipping. Yuk!

Our Lowes does not even carry it because of the meth probleme so it could be that they are clearancing it for good. :confused:

The one around here has not had it for quite some time either. I have been ordering it online for about 2 years now. Shipping is typically close to or more than the actual lye :(

Those damn meth heads spoiling it for everyone!!! :mad:

And this is the reason why I can't get it where I live either. NONE of the hardware stores or lumber yards sell it anymore because of the meth problems here. I was told by the department manager at Lowe's that it went on clearance about 6 months ago for the very reason that Meridith stated so you may want to ask your local Lowes dept. mgr. if that is the case in your state too. First it was cold medicines, I had to show ID for now this. It really sucks that now if I want to learn how to make CP or HP soap, I'll have to order it online. What's even worse all the suppliers I see that sell lye online are all on the west coast....:(

I'm going to have to get creative like southern.scents. I doubt I can get it as low as she gets it. She's pretty fortunate to have a source like that.

I have a friend who's hubby owns a plumbing business. I'm going to check with him before ordering online. But for now I have plenty thanks to the clearance sale.

I'm going to have to get creative like southern.scents. I doubt I can get it as low as she gets it. She's pretty fortunate to have a source like that.

I have a friend who's hubby owns a plumbing business. I'm going to check with him before ordering online. But for now I have plenty thanks to the clearance sale.

He....lol..

Your friend who has a plumbing business should be able to help. If not, ask a smaller (non chain) grocer or hardware store. They might order it for you in full cases.

I was debating using she/he cause I really didn't know. Next time I could try a s/he.

No offense to the opposite sex but soap and b&b hobbies tend to appeal more to the ladies so I figured:confused: my odds of it being a she were good.:wink2:

I was debating using she/he cause I really didn't know. Next time I could try a s/he.

No offense to the opposite sex but soap and b&b hobbies tend to appeal more to the ladies so I figured:confused: my odds of it being a she were good.:wink2:

Thats fine. It is also rare for a 17 year old to be doing this so people also assume I am much older than I am.

I get my lye from a local pool chemical company. Plumbers, grocers, pool companies. Just take out your phonebook and call around to see if someone would be willing to order it for you, you may get a lot of "no's", but on the other hand, you may get a yes.

Hugs, Branda

I think I'm going to have to go back to Lowes and buy what's left. I've been checking internet prices and not so good especially when you add shipping plus hazmat fees.

I though Alabaster carried lye pretty reasonably priced but I went back to their site I could not find it.

I contacted Roebic and Lowes is not carrying it anymore because they increased the price of the lye. It went up to $10.18 a bottle. The Roebic headquarters are in CT where I live so I can actually pick it up there they said. So if I can't find any lye locally, I can take a drive.

Jen