Palm & Soy Mixed??

I have been researching waxes for days as it appears my current soy wax blend days are numbered.. can't get a straight answer from my supplier and my wax is out of stock. I have enough here to pour current orders... but I need a plan for after that.

Our "claim to fame" is soy wax candles... it's no secret that we use a soy wax blend... so my customers are okay with the idea of a wax blend. All that being said... I'm very interested in palm wax and already have a sample of it (along with several other wax samples) on the way. I really need to keep soy way in my blend.. just for marketing ease.. etc... anybody mixing soy and palm in containers successfully? or know of a reason why I shouldn't try?

I'm not asking for recipes... just advice. I have a ton of testing to do... and would love any input you could offer.

Thanks in advance!

Chele

PS. Yes, I have searched this board already and learned tons from all the existing threads. :)

I pour a blend of 1/3 soy/palm and 2/3 223 or 10% soy/palm and 90% 6006. I think palm is very comprable to soy and think you could use it in place of soy. You do lose the beautiful palm effect and may have to wick up occasionally. I'm sold on palm as a sub for soy. Carole

I've tried soy wax at 98% and then veggie blend at 2% (my supplier tells me the veggie base is a mix of veggie waxes like palm and I'm pretty certain there is a fair bit of palm in there because I used to make only palm wax blend candles and it has the same appearance to it). Also tried 90% soy and 10% veggie blend.

Go ahead and experiment that's how I figure out what works best for me. For the wax blends come easier but it's very time consuming trying different wick sizes.

Let us know what works for you.

I am having the same issue my soy blend is discontinued and I have less than a case of wax left with the holidays arriving and a new store to stock.

Luckily I can sell melts but I have to retest some of my best sellers in a new wax. QUICK.

I was looking at palm wax as well and use to use plain 415 soy. I think I will try to blend the two at 25% palm with 75% soy and see what happens. Guess it is a starting point.

WHY on earth would they discontinue a wax blend like that ...it seemed to be very popular. Was easy to use, easy to pour, no waiting like plain soy. UGH! GRRRR!

VERY frustrating. :angry2:

I am having the same issue my soy blend is discontinued and I have less than a case of wax left with the holidays arriving and a new store to stock.

Luckily I can sell melts but I have to retest some of my best sellers in a new wax. QUICK.

I was looking at palm wax as well and use to use plain 415 soy. I think I will try to blend the two at 25% palm with 75% soy and see what happens. Guess it is a starting point.

WHY on earth would they discontinue a wax blend like that ...it seemed to be very popular. Was easy to use, easy to pour, no waiting like plain soy. UGH! GRRRR!

VERY frustrating. :angry2:

I started testing today.. I will post if I find a mix that works. I can't believe they stuck it to us right here at our busy season. But because of this stunt that have lost my business.. I am looking at replacements as we speak.

I understand that things happen and manufacturers change things.. but be honest with me.. and you keep my business... stick your head in the sand and act like you don't know what's going on... and we have a problem.

I am frustrated as well... been sick about this literally.. for days.

Take care,

Chele

I've learned so much in just a few days. Our first round was 50% soy and 50% palm... poured around 200... wicked jars with our usual dual wicks also did a set with single wicks. I used 1 oz per lb.

Fact#1 I didn't pay attention to cooling temp and made the ugliest candles I have ever made. (LOL)

Fact #2 I test burned less than 12 hours after pouring and the cold and hot throw was phenomenal. I tested burned the single wicked apothecaries... and though the wick wasn't quite hot enough... I think I was close (used a CSN 12) - I think is how it was labeled.

Fact #3 This blend is not for tarts.. scent throw in the tarts was great... appearance was yuck... would be a hard sell based on appearance.

Soooooo... today I will try 100% palm and see if thats what made these candles so strong. As far a scent throw honestly.. this is the best BY FAR candle I have ever made.

Also going to try 70% soy and 30% palm to see if less palm corrects the cosmetic issues and the improved candle remains. My "dream" change would be to keep soy in the mix because I have over 50 wholesale accounts I'm going to have to "market" this change to.... and I think soy in the mix makes that easier. I will tell you though if the 100% palm candle throws better than the mix I made... buh bye soy. Welcome to the "Power of Palm"

I'll keep posting.. for those who got swept up in the great soy blend wax disappearance. Sorry if I rambled.. :)

Take care,

Chele

I've learned so much in just a few days. Our first round was 50% soy and 50% palm... poured around 200... wicked jars with our usual dual wicks also did a set with single wicks. I used 1 oz per lb.

Fact#1 I didn't pay attention to cooling temp and made the ugliest candles I have ever made. (LOL)

Fact #2 I test burned less than 12 hours after pouring and the cold and hot throw was phenomenal. I tested burned the single wicked apothecaries... and though the wick wasn't quite hot enough... I think I was close (used a CSN 12) - I think is how it was labeled.

Fact #3 This blend is not for tarts.. scent throw in the tarts was great... appearance was yuck... would be a hard sell based on appearance.

Soooooo... today I will try 100% palm and see if thats what made these candles so strong. As far a scent throw honestly.. this is the best BY FAR candle I have ever made.

Also going to try 70% soy and 30% palm to see if less palm corrects the cosmetic issues and the improved candle remains. My "dream" change would be to keep soy in the mix because I have over 50 wholesale accounts I'm going to have to "market" this change to.... and I think soy in the mix makes that easier. I will tell you though if the 100% palm candle throws better than the mix I made... buh bye soy. Welcome to the "Power of Palm"

I'll keep posting.. for those who got swept up in the great soy blend wax disappearance. Sorry if I rambled.. :)

Take care,

Chele

Chele, did you use the container palm? You say it didn't look good, so did you pour hot. I have heard that palm throws very well. Would be nice if a blend would look good poured hot and throws great. I hate waiting for the cool stage.... Try pouring the tarts hot, I have better luck hot that cool with tarts.

• 3 weeks later...

Chele,

Thanks for your input on this. I've been at this for 7 years and been using soy/joy for 4 years and at my wit's end. Besides the fact that the joy is now up to $81 a box, the inconsistencies are too many to keep the ratio the same each time. I'm glad to hear that you are trying something else with soy. I'm planning on starting the testing after the holiday season is over and any information I obtain, I'll be glad to pass on.

Shelley

I just read this..I haven't been here in a while..I saw that you have started using palm..when I made candles I noticed the same thing..strongest candle throw ever! I had a suggestion about the tarts..if you like the blend and can't get it to look nice..try doing the crumbles..I read somewhere you just pour onto a cookie sheet, let set ,then break into pieces..then package.Sounds easy and if you package them right I bet they sell! Just a suggestion.;) Hope you find he right recipe! Good Luck!

Kimmeroo:grin2:

I'm testing a combination of GB 444, CO and Palm wax at the moment. So far I am very pleased with the result: very good glass adhesion, smooth tops and good throw. I pour it quite hot, so no waiting time here either.

Tried the same with Ecosoya CB-Advanced instead of the GB 444, but these candles weren't that nice, so I guess I'll stick to my first combo.

I'm testing a combination of GB 444, CO and Palm wax at the moment. So far I am very pleased with the result: very good glass adhesion, smooth tops and good throw. I pour it quite hot, so no waiting time here either.

Hi, what combinations are you using of GB 444, CO and Palm wax?

Currently I'm playing aroung with

80% GB 444

10% Coconut

and 10% Palm

Hard enough to have a really good burning time and smooth enough to have nice tops (very easy to adjust with the heat gun if necessary at all)

If you pour right after melting the glass adhesion is very good as well.

Thanks! I think I'll try it! I'm trying to avoid having to do a second pour with the palm wax! I am currently doing palm pillars only and I hate having to dig into the candle to avoid the air pockets! I want to move on to containers using only essential oils and natural waxes - I think I'm going to try this next! Thanks so much!

I've noticed when I use Ecosoya CB Advanced soy with palm mixed I get holes in my tops and use the heatgun to get them perfect. If memory serves correct I think that might have happened with 70% soy and 30% palm. It burned fine and all but just got the holes near the top.

ubure,

Your combo sounds good. Palm wax is cheaper for me than soy so think I'll continue to mix the two of them.

This is not so much a problem, as there seems to build a slightely higher "wall" of wax at the glass (I hope you this is understandable). When you re-pour you only pour up to the wall-level and there is no pour line.

Normally, if there are irregularities on the surface it is enough to use the heat gun to correct them. No need to repour then.

I still have to examine this combination a bit more in order to get a real one-pour wax.

Does adding the palm help eliminate frosting? How much does your wicking change from just soy?

Not really, but it is a lot better - sometimes there is no frosting at all, but I still have to find out due to which conditions:grin2:.

A bit of bees wax will help a lot, which is what I will try next (it helped me with my other wax as well):

Wicking hasn't changed for me as I am using the same sizes when using pure palm wax- no crystal forming wax, it is rather simply hydrogenated palm oil, but blended somehow for using as candle wax. So the hardness of the wax combination is similar to this palm oil wax, which, on the whole is a bit harder than soy. I guess you should wick up one size, certainly not more.

At the moment I am experimenting with some other combos, using straight palm oil (which is solid anyway) with palm wax (the crystal forming one) and coconut oil. Prices for palm and soy wax here in Germany are between $ 4,- and $ 6,- per kg, without shipping and tax, so I have to find alternatives.