Joy Wax

I have used Joy Wax for quite some time now and had not noticed any change in the wax like some others had noticed until now. Is anyone else experiencing a problem with this wax not having very good cold or hot throw? I've tried using an ounce and 1 1/2 oz. of FO in this but still no luck. It's just not perfoming for me like I am used to it doing. Good thing I am just making candles for myself now cuz these last few I have made are just not what my customers would have been used to as far as the scents. I've not changed a thing with these either, same fragrance oils from the same suppliers and still using the same wicks. It has me stumped right now. Is this the same thing that others have experienced with this wax before?

I don't use it anymore... I did start with it though. I ended up switching because I couldn't figure out the soy content for it and because they refused to support different batches. Like it was an "if it doesn't work, oh well" kind of thing. No consistency.

So no help for you, but I'm really liking GW 464 with CD wicks.

-Kristi

This is the first and only problem I have ever had with this wax so I guess I have been lucky in that aspect. It looks like I will be sticking with the Ez-Soy from now on. These are really the only 2 waxes I use. The soy takes a little more work than the Joy but if the Joy is going to perform like this batch has I can deal with the little bumps the soy gives me cuz they can be taken care of with a heat gun. It's too bad the heat gun won't help me with the throw of the Joy wax like it does with the flaky tops on the soy!

I got some of the 70/30 from TN and I don't like it either. The same problems with it as with the Joy. They both seem about the same as far as their consistency so I don't know if they are both 70/30 or not I just know that I am not happy with either of these with the way they are working out for me. No throw for me on either. I have to stand over the candle in order to just get a faint hint of the scent of what I am burning. Since these candles stay at my house I don't label them I just remember which scent based on the color. I have even given these both "cure times" of over a week before burning them and still nothing. It's disappointing to say the least but I know not to order either of these again. Expensive lesson learned that is for sure!

EZ-Soy is said to be the same as the GF 415 soy.

So if you can find a supplier that is close to you that carries the 415, it may save you some $$.

That is what I did.. There was no difference in the EZ-Soy vs 415. IMO

(Just the tons of $$ I save in shipping costs):grin2:

Morris wax is not too far from me so I need to check with them to see if they carry this wax. I know they don't have the ez-soy but they carry the eco soys. I guess I should hit their website and see if they have it. I knew from using the 415 that it is basically the same as the ez-soy, I think that I got told that when I bought some from a classy ad on here. It seemed pretty much the same to me as the ez-soy.

**ETA: I went and checked they have the 464 listed so how would that compare do you know? Says it is all soy.**

Thanks Kristi! I am full on wax right now but with the way prices are increasing with the wax and then shipping charges getting higher it will be worth the drive across town for me to stop in and get some of this to try. I use zinc wicks with my soy and have had great luck with them. I have a ton of these right now too. I use the 51-32-18 on the 8 oz jj and get nice results with these. Would that be a god starting point also for the 464? Or would you suggest something else. I've tried cotton core but there was a reason I didn't care much for them, it might have been the way the wicks would "curl" but if I remember correctly, this was the way these wicks self trimmed maybe?? If not these then there was one I tried that did this. It has been so long ago that I can't remember. :confused:

Thanks for the info on this wax, will be sure to try it and see how it works!

Is this the same thing that others have experienced with this wax before?

Yes, that's one of the problems I had with it. Plus, previous tested wicks suddenly didn't preform the same. That was with using the same % of FO and same containers. I had problems with major wet spots that I hadn't had in the past. When I contacted the company with questions not only did I not receive any help they didn't seem to be very experienced in actually making candles. I was told just to expect those problems with wax! No way! I can't afford the time or the wasted product to have start all over from scratch each and every time I ordered wax from them. I quit using Joy! It's a shame because Joy use to be an excellent product in the past. However, I do find that in general with soy can be inconsistant from batch to batch.

Sorry you are having problems. Good luck.

Thanks Kristi! I am full on wax right now but with the way prices are increasing with the wax and then shipping charges getting higher it will be worth the drive across town for me to stop in and get some of this to try. I use zinc wicks with my soy and have had great luck with them. I have a ton of these right now too. I use the 51-32-18 on the 8 oz jj and get nice results with these. Would that be a god starting point also for the 464? Or would you suggest something else. I've tried cotton core but there was a reason I didn't care much for them, it might have been the way the wicks would "curl" but if I remember correctly, this was the way these wicks self trimmed maybe?? If not these then there was one I tried that did this. It has been so long ago that I can't remember. :confused:

Thanks for the info on this wax, will be sure to try it and see how it works!

I haven't tried zincs in 464. I did use them in Joy though... I've used HTPs and CDs in 464 and REALLY like CDs.

-Kristi