storing soaps

kandlekrazy

After you let them set up and dry how do you store them? I left some in an open plastic HDPE container and they got grainy on the outside. It did wash off, but obviously don't want this to happen all the time. Is it ok to wrap gylcerin soap in plastic wrap or what?

The only soap I have that stays around long enough around to be wrapped I have already wrapped in individual cello bags.

I also store for short periods soap bars wrapped in wax paper. Just make sure you store them in a warm dry place and seperate soaps with different fragrances, dyes, etc.

Melt and Pour soap needs to be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap most of the time. The high glycerin content in it causes it to draw moisture from the air. If you are storing it for very long or shipping it, you shoud wrap it in plastic wrap even if you are going to put in something prettier like a cello bag or a drawstring bag, a soap box or something else.

If the soap is going to be used in a short time, then it doesn't matter so much. I ship a few soaps in cello bags for shower favors when I know they will be used right away, but we always wrap them really carefully in packing foam to protect them. Glycerin soaps do get beat up really easily too. They are not as tough as CP soaps are, so you need to treat them with some extra TLC.:thumbsup:

Soapymomma

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I use the new ziploc bags that have that gizmo that sucks all the air out of the bag. My soaps last forever with no discoloration or sweating

Does the ziploc material not suck the scent out? I thought using those was a no-no because it was the kind of plastic that sucked scent out?