Reed base to FO percentage: can you use too much FO?

Darbla

I have some weak FOs from From Nature With Love that I'm not going to waste more wax on, but I was wondering if they'd perform well in reed base if I use a higher percentage of FO than usual? Say, 80% FO to 20% base? Is the FO significantly thicker that the liquids traveling up the reeds will be affected negatively? They smell good, they're just too weak for wax.

Darbla

Darbla -

Without seeing the viscosity of the FO you're using I can't say for sure. But you are correct that if it is a "thick" oil the ratio of fo to base will be too high and probably won't travel the reeds properly.

That being said, if it is light OOB it will be light in a diffuser. Using a larger amount, in my experience, will not increase the aroma's intensity. However, it may work in a smaller room. If it were me I'd try the standard ratio and see how it works in the bathroom. There might be a market for diffusers that have been "custom-formulated" for use in bathrooms only. :grin2: