Testing 6006

I've been test burning Pumpkin Vanilla (The Candle Source) in 6006 since Monday. The wicks I've used are LX20, LX18, RRD47, CD14, 51-32-18z and ECO8 ... most of these wicks are suggested by the Candle Science wick guide.

I've found that all the wicks have been mushrooming (I trim the wicks after each burn), all have a good melt pool and leave no wax hangup. The only difference I've is the amount of sooting that each wick produces. Based on that, the LX20 gets my vote ... soot does not seem to be a problem with this wick.

Almost forgot ... 6% fo in 8oz square mason jars.

Thanks, CandleBuddy!

I'll be picking up a couple of cases soon - and use the 8oz square masons too. You've just saved me about a weeks worth of testing. Wish there was some way of compensating you. :highfive:

Bless you for sharing :yay: !!!

Hey tootie ... I only tested the CD14, it burned well ... the only problem I had with it was the soot; it had the most soot of all the wicks I tested.

Do you think if I tried a CD12 it would produce less soot?

I did test the CD12 in a 70/30 blend of Comfort Blend (4627) and soy (444) ... but again, I got alot of soot. I'm beginning to think that maybe CD's don't do well in a blend that's more paraffin than soy.

I poured more testers yesterday; I'll post the results just in case anyone's interested. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Candlebuddy, I'm really glad you posted your wick testing, as I've been using the CD14's. Even though they "do the job" the soot and mushrooming is driving me nuts! I'm testing the LX20's next week per your suggestion. Gotta have a cleaner candle....BUT, my customers are not complaining as well as my retailers.....but, we can always do better, right?

Thanks,

Carrie

Isbennis ... the zinc's and the LX's worked best for me in 6006. I'm doing another test with these 2 wicks just to make sure which one I like best. Right now, I'm leaning toward the LX, but we'll see once the testing is complete. I'm keeping the fo at 6% in 6006 ... any higher, and I think I'll have more of a soot problem.

Candlelady ... I agree with you, the CD14 does the job, but the amount of soot I'm getting on my jars is crazy ... and, out of all the wicks I tested, the CD14 mushrooms the most. You're right, I think there's always room for improvement, with my candles anyway. :grin2:

Jbren ... the RRD47 gave me alot of soot in 6006, but is was better than the LX18, ECO8 and CD14, it also had a large mushroom. Maybe it will do better for me if I retest in a different fo.

Thanks everyone for your input ... I really appreciate all the advice I can get. I just want this wax/wick testing over with, hopefully, I'll get closer to deciding the best combo that will work for me soon. I'm getting a little frustrated and a bit stressed. *faint*

I dont remember alot of soot. I have to look at my notes and dig up my old thread. I think I mixed a little soy(15%) in with the 6006 for that jar because I will NOT repour. I did not color and I trimmed the wicks really short I remember that much. I tested this back in April I think. I think I only tested tins with 100% 6006 since they dont require a repour.

tootie

Hey Tootie ... I didn't have to repour in my 8oz masons, in fact, I think 6006 is easy to work with, no problems with the wax at all. I did color them using the color chips from Candle Science. And like you, I trimmed my wicks really short. I'm going to start test burning Apples & Evergreen and Cranberry Peach Cider tomorrow ... I'll post my findings in a few days.

I know I added 15% soy to that 6006 for that jar. But that little bit of soy should not change wick size. I had alot of help from a lady on here who uses the 6006 ALOT.

I know I had very little if any soot and no smoking using that CD 12 in that jar.

tootie

Just an update for those interested ... after much testing, I've decided to go with zinc wicks ... they seem to do the best in the majority of the fo's that I'm using. However, I must say, LX20's in my 8oz square mason jars work well too. Both type wicks mushroom, and both soot, but very little. I think the key is to keep the fo to 6% and trim the wicks low.

Here's my results ...

8oz jelly - 51z

8oz sq. mason - 60z

(Of course, wicking up and/or down may be necessary with some scents ... but generally these sizes worked great for me.)

Candlebuddy - Just about the time you get this wax/wick figured out I'll just be getting my wax! :highfive:

I get my wax the 18th and could do some testing in a JJ or SqMason around the 21st. Just let me know what you haven't tried. Since the CDN's are geared for the natural wax - I don't think they're even worth testing. PM anytime!

Candlebuddy and others: I've been pouring the 6006 in 8 oz. and 16 oz. sq. mason jars and have quite a few with holes at the wicks, not all of them, but approx. 10-15 jars in 100 candles poured. I've had my candle room pretty darn warm and that didn't help either....Me and my heat gun are getting to be great friends ~ and that's not a good thing! LOL

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carrie

Candlebuddy and others: I've been pouring the 6006 in 8 oz. and 16 oz. sq. mason jars and have quite a few with holes at the wicks, not all of them, but approx. 10-15 jars in 100 candles poured. I've had my candle room pretty darn warm and that didn't help either....Me and my heat gun are getting to be great friends ~ and that's not a good thing! LOL

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carrie

This happened to me too. If you add 15% soy to the 6006 this seems to go away. 6006 likes containers that are wide. I tested 100% 6006 in the tins and did not have this problem. If you add 15% soy it will NOT change your wicking....at least mine didnt change.

tootie

Candlebuddy - Just about the time you get this wax/wick figured out I'll just be getting my wax! :highfive:

I get my wax the 18th and could do some testing in a JJ or SqMason around the 21st. Just let me know what you haven't tried. Since the CDN's are geared for the natural wax - I don't think they're even worth testing. PM anytime!

I "think" I tested a CDN wick with this wax....I didnt see much difference from the CD's if any.

tootie

I will also be testing this wax this weekend. This is a new wax to me. I have been away from candlemaking for a couple of years. Past preferences before were 223 and 4627. I do have these waxes on hand. Unless they have changed alot I will be able to not have to do much testing with using my old notes. However I do have some new fragrances to test. Anyway, I will be testing LX, zinc and HTP in the 6006. Since the 6006 has some soy/vegetable wax in it and I am not familiar with soy, is this a good start point? What is the % of veggie? Went on IGI site. No #'s. Not trying to butt in on your thread, however, it will be interesting if we have similar results. I have no CD wicks. Not planning on purchasing. I have two drawers full of everything but CD. I will hopefully also take pics comparing burn every three hours. Sometimes what I think at first is a crappy wick turns out to be the best for mid and end burn. Catches up to itself. Also why I do not test by poking a hole and inserting a different wick. Never has worked out well for me. Goodluck with your testing.

Tootie ... I didn't mix in soy, I was hoping to wick properly in straight 6006. If I decide to mix waxes, I'll post results.

Judy ... the wicks I've tried are LX20, LX18, RRD47, CD14, 51-32-18z, 60-44-18 and ECO8. For an 8oz square mason jar, I liked the LX20 and the 60-44-18 the best. I did find that for a couple of scents, I had to use a 51-32-18z.

Candlelady ... after pouring, I've been placing my jars on a heating pad (I read about doing this from another 6006 user). I also place the jars close together (sides touching). Then I cover the candles with a box, turn off the heating pad, and let the candles cool. By using this process, I'm happy to say that I haven't had any problems with holes around the wick. In fact, I don't even have to repour. So far, they've turned out beautiful.

Judette ... after doing alot of research, I believe that 6006 is 80% paraffin and 20% soy. I also think that LX and zinc wicks are good ones to start testing. I've read where others use HTP's with good results.

Tonight I'm pouring a few more testers ... I'll post my results in a few days. Thanks everyone for your comments ... let me know how your testing is going as well. :highfive:

DebK - Since there are so many sizes of Ultra Cores available could you recommend a starting point for the 8oz masons? I know it's going to vary on the FO used ... just need a starting point. Only got 5 of each size in my tester pack.

Also, are you using the small square masons or the 8 oz round jelly jars?

Thanks