soy blends pour temps?

I am trying to use up 4 cases of soy that won't burn well, so I am mixing with parafin 70/30. Any ideas of what temp to pour this? I'm used to pouring at the slush stage, but this doesn't seem to work well with this blend. ThanksPamR

I've worked w/ 70/30, 30/70 & 50/50 & 160-150 is a workable temp for me. I had a couple reasons for wanting the temp as low as possible & found 150 to be as low as I could go before the wax won't give a flawless finished appearance. If you drop the temp too low on the blends it will be harder to work w/ & set up w/ jump lines & other funky flaws.

Susan.

I agree with 155 to 160 temp. I've also been working with my hard to burn soy (415) and found Harmony IGI 4630 seems to be working the best so far. What paraffin are you adding? My soy is taking a 50/50 or 70/30 blend depending on single vs. double wicking. Need more soy for the double. The blend makes a nice looking candle which colors nicely and doesn't have the frost etc. Now to finally get the wicking down...have one FO so far. Beth

I agree with 155 to 160 temp. I've also been working with my hard to burn soy (415) and found Harmony IGI 4630 seems to be working the best so far. What paraffin are you adding? My soy is taking a 50/50 or 70/30 blend depending on single vs. double wicking. Need more soy for the double. The blend makes a nice looking candle which colors nicely and doesn't have the frost etc. Now to finally get the wicking down...have one FO so far. Beth

I don't think I've tried the 4630. Well, after checking, I think the harmony blend is the 4630! I'm trying all sorts of formulas. Right now I'm using 60% soy, 20% 941(soft parafin), & 20% harmony blend. Colors great, throws good, but am having to really wick down, which surprised me. I think I'll bump up the soy a bit. I hate testing, but need to use up these waxes.PamR

I pour my GL 70/30 blend at 175. I get smooth tops except for the nipple around the wick. I don't know how to avoid that but I don't worry too much about it. My DH calls them booby candles.

Okay...on second thought...how do you avoid that?

Lol, I know exactly what you're talking about. Only way to eliminate it would be to do a repour, yuckPamR

My blend I pour at 140 - 150 degrees. Any hotter and I get holes around the wick.

You really have to test your own blend to see what works. What works for some won't work for others. Lots of factors at work here-- what wax, fragrance, etc. will make a difference in your pour temps.

So just jump right in a play around with it.

Does anyone use stearic acid or coconut oil with their soy wax?

I used to make 100% soy candles, then tried 98% soy and 2% veggie wax. Then I made a candle the other day with 90% soy and 10% veggie wax and now want to experiment with additives like coconut oil and stearic acid.

Two nights ago I made a candle with 90% soy and 10% veggie wax and then used 5% stearic (read that on justbynature site) and 7% essential oil blend.

Well I'm burning it now and it doesn't smell at all, when I first lit it there was this kind of smokey smell for about 10 minutes. Anywho I can't smell any fragrance at all.

So if using stearic what percentage would you recommend? If using coconut oil what percentage would be a good amount to try? I'm trying to get better scent throw in my candles especially when using essential oils.

Does anyone use stearic acid or coconut oil with their soy wax?

I used to make 100% soy candles, then tried 98% soy and 2% veggie wax. Then I made a candle the other day with 90% soy and 10% veggie wax and now want to experiment with additives like coconut oil and stearic acid.

Two nights ago I made a candle with 90% soy and 10% veggie wax and then used 5% stearic (read that on justbynature site) and 7% essential oil blend.

Well I'm burning it now and it doesn't smell at all, when I first lit it there was this kind of smokey smell for about 10 minutes. Anywho I can't smell any fragrance at all.

So if using stearic what percentage would you recommend? If using coconut oil what percentage would be a good amount to try? I'm trying to get better scent throw in my candles especially when using essential oils.

Well I dont use EO so I dont know if this will help you. I do use coconut oil but not for getting a better scent throw. I use coconut oil to help out with getting smoother tops in my 100% soy. I use about 1/2 to 3/4 a tsp per pound.

Sorry if this doesnt help you.

Antonia