Help...I'm doing my first craft show

comfortscents

Hi all: Just wondering I'm doing my very first, and most likely, only craft show so I'm a greenhorn. I'm trying to gauge how many units of soap I should bring with me to sell. I'm also selling candles but most of my items will be soap. Is 100 soaps too few? I am the only soap seller at this craft show, it was an invitation only show...also..it's juried..can anyone explain that term to me?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

juried just means that you have to submit photos of your handmade products and you making them to insure that they are infact handmade.

I would say being 200-300 bars depending on how big the show is, if you are the only vendor. I would go with 10 scents and bring 24 bars of each scent.

from what I know it's a huge show in a well to do area of WNY. It's a one day show. The contact person found me on ebay and invited me on the spot. Should I even bother with candles? I was thinking of only bringing one hundred pieces but I was contacted by a shop on Staten Island that will buy whatever doesn't sell at the show. I think I'll pour 150 full sized bars and 100 petit fours. I'm doubting myself and imagining taking everything home and that no one will buy my stuff...lol..probably why I've never done a craft show..thanks for the information on the juried part. In fact the woman on Staten Island contacted me about my soaps because she doesn't carry anything in her shop that isn't made in the U.S. Tell me if this idea isn't too hokey..I want to do something special for anyone that has someone in the armed forces. I have a gorgeous olive branch soap mold that I thought I would pour in red, white and blue and scent hot apple pie. I would sell them at a 20% discount to anyone who has a loved one over in Iraq. Because it's October I'm also doing Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Ribbon soaps with 50% of the proceeds going to the Susan G. Komen Charity...Because of the number of soaps Carrie suggested I'm off to buy another 34lb block of soap from wsp. I'll find some way to store these if EVERYTHING goes the wrong way for me.lol. Oh...I was also thinking about skipping autumn altogether and pouring Christmas Soaps...too much too soon?

Guest jurnalynn

i would bring your candles too if u have them done whats the harm........i've done about 6 craftshows most were decent one was real slow........the last was a vender fair that one hospital was doing only made 38 dollars but walked a way from it with the giftshop wanting to carry my stuff so i viewed it as a success if the store wants to carry your soaps i would bring enough to hopefully have leftover so they can put it in their store

Laura

I had what most would consider a small show over the weekend, only 20-25 vendors and I sold 213 bars of soap. That's not figuring lotions, air fresheners, etc. How much to take has always been a tough one to figure out, now I just take it all. I'd rather have too much than to lose a sale because I didn't bring something.

I only make 14 or 28 bar batches and carry 40-50 different scents.

love the idea of the olive branch soap, but you should offer the discount to anyone with a mil ID, not everyone has someone deployed to Iraq, our guys are also in Afghanistan, Quatar, Korea and many other places. You might also consider finding a group that does support stuff for the troops overseas and donate 20% of the non-discounted sales to them, they always need help.

I have to agree with the gals, take more than you need... too much is usually enough.