Charcoal

Grumpy Girl

You can get it in capsule form at GNC Stores. I got a bottle of 100 capsules for $6.99. It didn't take very many capsules to get a real dark black I think I may have gotten it too black :laugh2:

It is a little messy opening the capsules but the shipping on so much of this stuff IMO isn't worth messing with if you can get it locally.

I got mine from some place online - in a lovely powder form, in a plastic jar. betterthangreens.com (more specifically - http://www.betterthangreens.com/Product_289_Search.html). In looking now I see that it comes in different sizes - from 10 oz to TWENTY POUND BUCKETS!! lol. 10 OZ IS plenty for soaping!

I looked back at my notes. I only used it in the swirl portion and then just mixed it directly into the batter. I don't think I was left with any specks, but if I were to do the whole batch, or a larger portion, I'd probably do a slurry with a bit of glycerin first.

Same place as amillion and it arrived quickly. Keep in mind though I bought the pound I think and it isn't a product one rips right into without a ummm dusting of black powder ... everywhere.

I just mixed it like I do my micas and no probs.

That's where I got mine too, and 4 oz is plenty.

If doing a whole batch, I mix it right into my oils before lye solution. For swirling, added at trace by itself is fine. It mixes right in with no specks.

Just don't breathe too hard when you open that envelope! I transferred mine into a jar, then I put plastic wrap over that, then the lid.

edited to add: 1 tsp. PPO will give you a true black.

I got a charcoal soap from Simone on the dish quite a few years ago.

She gave it in a dishers only private swap that we did when we went to the AZ. Gathering.

This bar was BLACK, lathered grey, and from my recollection did not stain the washcloth.

Good soap too!

You might pm her there, as I am not sure if she is a member here or not.

She's a really nice lady from Texas.

I see Jackie (jbren) answered you, and honestly any soap that she has ever given me has been exceptional.

She wouldn't steer you wrong!

I got mine at Texas Natural Supplies. I use it by adding it directly to my soap batter and mixing it in.

I went to their site and they've got lots I'd love to try...but dang!... shipping for 10oz of product, less that $11.00 was $13.56! Wowzers!! I'll go to the GNC I guess for the charcoal..I just wish they didn't have so much that I want..:cry2:

Thanks for the suggestion though!

There are some amazing properties that charcoal adds. Here is a site with tons of info about it. If you promote a soap with charcoal in it, it would be good to know as much about it as possible. It has lots of uses too even besides in soap -- like for bee stings and stuff. Chech it out. I found this site very informative. http://www.BuyActivatedCharcoal.com

Soapymomma

I went to their site and they've got lots I'd love to try...but dang!... shipping for 10oz of product, less that $11.00 was $13.56! Wowzers!! I'll go to the GNC I guess for the charcoal..I just wish they didn't have so much that I want..:cry2:

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Holy cow that is outrageous!! I bought other stuff and they are not far from me so shipping was not bad.