Requirements for FDA product testing - all products?

PurpleHippie

I've been reading the information concerning the FDA requirements for lotions being free of mold, fungi, dirt before selling. I would think this means that before selling products need to be lab tested and the results maintained for our records? Maybe I've been reading too much and have over looked the information but what I haven't located is if this testing is just for lotions and creams or does it mean ALL products? Such as bath oils, body mist, linen sprays(which indirectly touch the skin), soap. Does anyone know if the testing is required for ALL products?

my understanding is that you aren't required to test, but that you can't sell "dirty" stuff and the onus is on you should anything untoward be found or occur...

the likelihood of anything coming up in a non-aqueous product is fairly slim, but in a lotion I would be concerned. thus I don't make lotion.

Ah, thank you! I make lotion and body butter for myself but not for sale. I make the butters without a preservative because it's just for my use. I've also had people ask that I make them some without the preservative. I won't do so because I know how easy lotions can get contaminated. That's one of the reasons I'm leary of pre-made lotion bases. Just been considering what would be involved if I do decided to add preservatives for selling purposes. I think I will just stick to making my own products for myself.

For butters ( anhydrous, without water) you don't need a preservative.

For lotions, yea - actually they aren't sterile to begin with so you MUST have a preservative even if you are going to be really careful. Bases already have preservatives in them but be careful to follow the mfg recommendations on how much of what you can add.

Well IF the globalization act passes, it's my understanding that all of it will have to meet a certain criteria, including where you make it and if I'm not mistaken, the bulk of things, such as a listing of all ingredients, will have to be submitted to the FDA and products will need to be lab tested ... as to what products, I would gather a list ought to be forthcoming unless they just want to keep things muddied like they are now. It's my understanding also that this will include soap being a cosmetic now, regardless if you make claims or not, which used to be what defined a product from being a cosemetic and requiring testing etc. The latest rewritten anything I could find about the act kept coming up from May.

I prefer no preservatives in what I make for myself. That's just for me I don't share these with anyone. I would never give or sell anything like that. I know that bases already have the preservatives in them but if I were going to give or sell them my products made with them I would have to put a lot of faith in the base being ok. Since I don't have a lab to test and make sure I just don't use them. I am sure they are fine but I dont want to take a chance.

I agree that some changes need to be made but this globalization act is a bit too much. It's going to put alot of us out of business. Including suppliers I would imagine! If things change concerning the location of where we can even manufactor products then those of us that need to work from home will be out of business. It's making it so that only big business with the big bucks will be able to continue. If fees of 2,000 plus are required in addition to lab testing. Last I heard they wanted even higher yearly fees. Once again the little guy gets mucle out.

I posted a topic on the act some time ago. I do hope our voice is heard. I can understand some regulations but the fees are what get me so angry. It isn't taking into consideration the VERY small business person. Producing a quality safe product has nothing to do with affording an expensive fee. With the economy being in such a mess being able to supplement my family income(in a small way) by working at home helps a bit. I've said this before but...most of us selling already have liabilty insurance. Requiring libility insurance along with maybe some other regulations would help weed out the fly by nighters that don't bother testing. On another message board someone that doesn't live here in the US stated that they are required to pass some sort of test, maintain testing records and have product liabilty insurance. Selling without following the guidelines results in expensive fines. IMO that is more fair to small business person.