coloring reed diffuser oils ???

ditzy1

Would it be ok for me to suggest to people that if they "want" their diffuser oils a certain color, that it would be ok for them to use food coloring? The reason I'm asking is I have done a Spring Open house (around Mother's Day) and did very well. I've been asked to do a Christmas open house too. For my spring one, I sold quite a few reed diffuser kits. I also offered refill bottles for people who wanted extra oils. (they could mix and match scents if desired). For the Christmas one I'm trying to be a little bit more creative. I'll offer the same kits that I had at the previous show but, I also purchased a few old medicine bottles that I found at a huge yard sale. I made some for myself using these bottles, and people loved them. Well, for one bottle, I put medium sized red stones in the bottom to add a little pizzazz (sp?). The few who saw it, loved it. The thing is, I don't want to color my refill bottles, in case I'm stuck with a bunch of red or blue colored refill bottles. Soooo - I was hoping that someone would chime in and let me know if it's ok for me to tell people that it's ok for them to add food coloring to their jars if they wanted....

Sorry that I'm soooo winded here - for such a simple question....lol :grin2:

Thanks in advance!!

No, i don't have any food coloring in house....lol. (Believe it or not) I leave the baking for my mom....lol. I didn't think about it being water based. Now I feel like a schmuck for not thinking it....)hence - the name ditzy - lol) Maybe I'll ask mom to try it on her kit and give me some feedback....but I'm having doubts now about it working. Oh well. It was just a thought.

Thanks for reply

I would not suggest to customers to try the food coloring. I tested with b&b liquid dye and it DID NOT blend with the reed diffuser base and FO. Candle dye works best . . .a little goes a long way. Use a toothpick to achieve desired color. One drop is tooooo much, no need to ask me how I know :D

Thanks all. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that. Maybe I'll post a little sign stating that i "can" color it if they want. And I'll scoot them down to my dungeon and give them a quick coloring for those requesting it. That way, I won't have to color anything that doesn't sell. (except, maybe I'll have samples of different colors for all to see...). You see, my mind is always racing in 100 different directions....which I'm sure that most of you can relate to.....

Thanks very much for the tips ladies!!! You're the best!!!:highfive:

• 1 month later...

For any of you coloring your reed base, does the reed turn funky colors from soaking the dye up in the base? The thought of that has kept me from trying colors. But it would be very nice looking to custom coordinate a base color with the room the product is going in.