Taking a break

itsmejeffd

Thanks to everyone here, orders for my soap molds have steadily increased since I first started making them. It has gotten to the point where I have to make a big decision. Either I quit my regular job and make molds on a full time basis, or I take a break from mold making. I’ve given this a lot of thought and decided to take a break. There are several reasons for this decision.

First: I haven’t had a day off in months. I work a regular, 40 hr/week desk job during the week as an architectural drafter, and I make candles, soap & molds in the evenings and weekends. I feel like I’ve been neglecting my family and missing out on doing “fun stuff” with my 5 year old son, Logan.

Second: Years ago, my wife Lisa and I started renovating our house. When our son came along, that came to a screeching halt. Now that he’s 5, he’s getting to the point where we don’t have to watch him every minute and we feel comfortable letting him watch a movie or play in the back yard by himself. Those unfinished projects need to be attended to and a lot needs to be done in the next 8 months because…

Third: We just found out that our son is going to be a big brother. This is something he’s been asking for on a regular basis for at least the past two years. With a new baby on the way, there’s no way I can keep up with the mold requests.

I expect this break to last at least a year or two. I’ll still lurk around here once in a while though.

In the meantime, while I’m gone, if anyone is looking for an HDPE soap mold, I would highly recommend my friend Rich Bartko at The Soap Hutch. Many of you have said that you would rank my molds and his at the top of your list for quality. Coincidentally, he only lives about 30 miles away from me in Georgetown, TX. I know he has a pretty long waiting list right now but you may find it worth the wait.

As a last note, I’d like to thank everyone who took a chance on my molds (especially in the beginning when no one knew anything about the quality) and took the time to comment and post pictures. I strove to make the best quality mold you could find and from many of your comments, at least some of you agree with me. You had many molds on the market to choose from and I read the posts to learn what you were looking for and how I could improve on what was already out there.

I will be back.

p.s. For those of you whom I have already talked to about molds, I will still work with you on those orders but I will no longer be able to take new orders.

Wow. Jeff take your time with the molds I ordered. I can wait.

You obviously have thought this out and I applaud you for telling us outright. Having two small kids myself I completely understand your priorities. Frankly if something is interfering with your quality of life instead of enhancing it - well it has to go.

Best of luck and when you are ready to get rolling again be sure to let us know!

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm so late in responding but.....Congratulations to you and the family on the addition of an new one!!! I am sure Logan will be extremely overjoyed when the little one arrives. Although, I have mentioned many times before, thanks again for my wonderful mold. Take care, and I look forward to your return!!

Congrats on the new addition Jeff! I'm sorry to hear that you're taking a break from making those awesome molds, but if that's what ya gotta do... then hey... do what makes ya happy. :)

It's hard when you have a family to take care of, plus work... plus doing everything a father/husband/man of the house is required of...

Family comes first. I think you made a very wise decision. :grin2:

Kudos to you my friend.