More candles from me!

Guest scrapgabbie

Guest scrapgabbie

ohhhhhh, l cannot begin to tell you how addicted l am to my new hobby! :whoohoo: :whoohoo: :whoohoo:

One corner of my kitchen has been hi-jacked for candle making activities, and my benchtop is already looking a lot worse for wear! (on a side note, what do you guys use to protect your work surface?)

Here's some of what l've been making to date (my poor kids are coming home for school and asking what l made to EAT :laugh2: )

post-9892-139458450039_thumb.jpg

post-9892-13945845004_thumb.jpg

post-9892-139458450043_thumb.jpg

post-9892-139458450044_thumb.jpg

post-9892-139458450046_thumb.jpg

post-9892-139458450048_thumb.jpg

post-9892-13945845005_thumb.jpg

hmmmm, ok I usually don't do this, but I have to ask....In the beginning of your post you say you are addicted to your new hobby? And you are already selling?:( Have you tested each and every candle? If you haven't, you really should not have them up for sale.....

You have a point, but I'm betting nobody that buys a product like this buys it to burn it ~ I know I wouldn't!! I would buy them to set out in my kitchen and oogle over LOL

Seeing that she's in Australia, I'm betting they're not a sue happy culture that America has turned into, so again, not the fear element there.

The candles are gorgeous ~ incredibly realistic, extreme talent oozing through every picture!!

You have a point, but I'm betting nobody that buys a product like this buys it to burn it ~ I know I wouldn't!! I would buy them to set out in my kitchen and oogle over LOL

Seeing that she's in Australia, I'm betting they're not a sue happy culture that America has turned into, so again, not the fear element there.

The candles are gorgeous ~ incredibly realistic, extreme talent oozing through every picture!!

There ARE people who don't burn them , but many that do..... Food and drink items are my biggest sellers and my customers DO burn them. And even if they don't sue, it is wise and neccessary to test your candles to make sure that they burn properly and are SAFE. Would you not want repeat customers? Even if the candle looks good, if it tunnels right down, or say container wax was used as frosting because it looked better, it would drip all over the place. They are so many variables of things that COULD go wrong, that is why people test! And then test again.

She Certainly has the look down...

I could go on and on about the importance of testing..... any good chandler knows about proper testing......

Guest scrapgabbie

wow...thankyou everyone for your lovely comments, l so appreciate them :-)

yes, they have all been tested. l'll be very honest and say that they are not uniform shapes (obviously), so it is hard to tell if the wick is perfectly centred, the meltpool perfect etc, but l have been reading voraciously here for a few weeks now and have realised the importance of testing FO, wicks etc. (how things have changed from me melting down old candles on the gas stovetop (eeek!) in an empty fruit can! :shocked2: :shocked2: )

l've started a candle 'recipe' book, and it is slowly but surely turning into my bible :-) l haven't experimented with different brands of wicks yet, l have stuck to only the one brand in different sizes. l figure since l am new l need to reduce the amount of variables otherwise l will get so confused. (l did buy a different type of soy wax though today, after reading all the comparisons here).

Some of them do drip more than others, but the few that l have sold on ebay l have given very clear instructions for them to be placed on a heatproof plate or dish, and each one also has a safety label on the bottom. Sadly though, l think l am the only one that burns them, ppl seem to be buying them for decoration only.

The website l did originally plan to sell from, but have since turned off the shopping cart feature and ppl can now only look at the pics. l did it just for fun as ppl in australia have never really seen bakery style candles before. Maybe one day l might turn it back on, but l am happy for now just muddling along learning as l go and giving them to friends etc. l don't know that it would ever become a full time job for me - it took me 3 hours today to finish 12 cupcakes and the kitchen bench looks like a whirlwind hit it LOL :smiley2: !

Guest scrapgabbie
hmmmm, ok I usually don't do this, but I have to ask....In the beginning of your post you say you are addicted to your new hobby? And you are already selling?:( Have you tested each and every candle? If you haven't, you really should not have them up for sale.....

Jen, thanks for your concern, l do appreciate it :-) Yes, it's a new hobby, maybe 4-6 weeks old, but probably only in the last 2 weeks have l made anything that l would even consider selling to people. l make websites for a living, so my site was only done for my own entertainment value - it cost me $26 for the domain name and the rest l knocked together on a friday night. l had one order from it, but then turned the cart off, l am using it as the demo site for my website business, and just something pretty to look at.

l work part time from home, so my days are very flexible - right now l wake up, eat breakfast, melt wax, check emails, pour something, take kids to school, come home, melt more wax, read something on here, make some embeds, do a bit of work, etc, etc all day long *grins*