Pumpkin...

TeriM

Did you all know that WSP has pumpkin flakes for sale? Next time I order from them I am gonna try them out.

Back to the subject-- I would think that you could probably add a bit of pumpkin puree to your M&P. I would start off trying 1 TBS per lb to test it out. I have added fresh squeezed lemon juice and shredded lemon zest up to 1 TBS of each per lb and had no problems. Thats 2 TBS of whole lemon I used per lb.

Now I jsut use dried lemon peel and lemon EO instead. Lots easier than squeezing and shredding lemon.:rolleyes2

If you try the pumpkin let us know how you like.

• 4 weeks later...

well I tried it out this weekend... added the puree to my base... the color is pretty but it's more yellow than a pumpkin color.... it's been a week and I haven't seen anything weird happen yet...

I did add a little cinnamon for looks....

• 3 months later...

I welcome any comment you're willing to share. :D

Another thing I was wondering is if these food items spoil after a few days and ruin your soap? Considering it may take me weeks to get around to using up something I've made -- not to mention I don't know how long somebody I've given soap to as a gift might hang onto it -- that's been bothering me.

I welcome any comment you're willing to share. :D

Another thing I was wondering is if these food items spoil after a few days and ruin your soap? Considering it may take me weeks to get around to using up something I've made -- not to mention I don't know how long somebody I've given soap to as a gift might hang onto it -- that's been bothering me.

That is my concern as well. I want to hear more from people who have tried the pumpkin.. I seem to remember that this has worked quite well, but I want to hear of someone else's tried and true experiences.. I'm going to try to draw CBEs attention to this thread :cheesy2:

I tried real pumpkin in MP. I added 1 tsp. to 2 lbs. base (or was it 1 tbsp? Agh... I don't remember!). I added my pumpkin to a disposable cup, then added a bit of melted MP soap and stirred to make a thin paste, then I added it to my main batch. It didn't compromise the lather at all, it actually was more creamy. I added dehydrated pumpkin flakes on the tops for a little visual effect. (I'm trying to remember every detail, but it was so long ago!)

The bar never went bad as far as I could tell with the bars I kept and used. I gave the rest to family. I was just playing around to see what I would come up with. None mentioned about the bar going bad, I think they used it all up pretty fast!

You probably know this already, but instead of using pumpkin puree, you can add a little bit of water to your dehydrated pumpkin to make the puree. Let it sit for a while to soak the water up and plump up. :P

Thanks CBE! Now that I have the pumpkin flakes I'm gonna have to try that. I still haven't used my pumpkin flakes yet. Haha!! So now I want to try it with both the flakes and the puree. BTW-- I also add ground cinnamon and nutmeg to my pumpkin soaps.