Double Wicking Large (Tall) Jars

Does anyone have suggestions for double wicking the tall 26-oz apothecary jar like this one? Every time I've tried, the wicks have gone out toward the bottom of the jar. But I have a customer who wants 15 26-oz jars double wicked for better scent throw. I'm testing now, but of course still at the top of the jar since I just poured it last night.

I use 75% J223 and 25% 415 soy and have a large variety of LX wicks, also zinc in 44 and 51 sizes, CD 12 and 14, and few RRD that I bought for testing purposes but haven't used because I was happy with my LXs.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate it greatly!!

jane

post-578-139458450002_thumb.jpg

I started with 2 LX20s and initially the throw was absolutely fantastic! As it burned down a little, though, the flames got very small and when I lit it again this morning the flames were still small and it didn't burn out to the edges as quickly as on the first burn. I'm going to yank those wicks tonight and change them--don't know whether to start out with larger or smaller, though!

I use the tins with a 3 3/4 top and double wick with RRD-47. They seem to do really well and I have had a good throw with them.

I also poured a 23 oz glass jar with a 4" opening and doubled wicked with RRD-47 and it would not burn all the way to the edges. So, I'll have to triple wick them or try another wick.

Thanks for your info, Carmella. I've had very good luck in jars this same width that were more shallow, but it seems the deeper jars just don't do well with double wicking. I wish that wasn't the size she wants, but I'm going to try to figure it out because I know I really like the throw a double wick gives when it does work!

That's so opposite of what I would normally try--but I've kept going larger and had so luck, so I'll give it a try tonight! I'm on my fourth set of wicks and so far the CD14s are best, but not really good, so I'll give CD12s a try.

Thanks, Danielle.

Jane

You might end up going down way farther than you ever imagined. I stopped my testing when I was down at 2 cd6's in a 16oz apothecary. I was shocked also.... my thinking was bigger was hotter and better. But if it can't burn the way it is suposed to due to lack of oxygen....

I stopped testing to focus on the new jars I am using.

Good Luck

I think 12 is the smallest size I have in CDs, but I have LXs down to 12, which is smaller than a CD 12--I may just try with them next and see what happens!

I also have zinc 36 and 44 (don't remember the other parts of the numbers because I haven't used zinc wicks in years, and I think I have sample packs of several RRD sizes--but I'll first try to stick with the ones I have larger amounts of in case they work.)

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

Jane

I tried going smaller and the wick got down to looking like glowing embers! So after testing (I think) 8-10 sets of wicks, it looks like 2 CD-18s is doing the trick. That seems like it should be much too big, but right now it's working. The candle is about halfway down in the jar and giving a great scent throw. The flames are still quite a bit smaller than I normally have with one wick, but it doesn't look like it'll have any soot this way (one positive)!!

Gonna finish burning this one down to the bottom and if it works, try another from top to bottom with this size. I'm eternally grateful to whoever suggested on here to pour testers without wicks and just stick them down in the jars so they're easily yanked!

Thanks for your patience and help.

Jane

I tried LX12 and 14 and CD12. It's funny--every time I change wicks, DH says "This one looks like it's going to work" because the flames look good at first--until it burns a while.

I am in the same boat. Your statement above is exactly how it is for me....except my husband is not part of the testing at all. LOL It is me peering down the jar thinking, "this may be it".....and then later, "no I guess that is not it." I don't have any trouble double wicking the soy I use in the taller jars but I have had nothing but trouble with the paraffin blends and/or para/soy. I can double wick the 10 oz. jars fine with these blends but not the 16 oz. or taller and not the 18 oz. pumpkin jars. I have tried the exact same blend as you are using and many others and I have not yet succeeded. Were you successful with the 16 oz. jars? It is beyond frustrating for me, especially since I am not inexperienced. If I find the "secret" I will let you know. I wish I had some ideas that work.

The LX20 has worked in previous years in my 16-oz apothecaries--now I'm thinking I need to test them again!! (That was one problem I thought was solved, but I'm doubting everything now.)

So it does okay in pure soy, huh? I may try that--but my customers like the scent throw in the blend I use and I'm afraid it won't be as strong in pure soy. So one more thing to add to my testing list!!:undecided