Whats your favorite CP soap mold and why?

KJohnson

Logs: Upland hands down, second is Silvermoon. LAST place is my Kelsei logs cause they are a bitch to get the soap out of. And I have a scar on the inside of my right forearm to prove it. OH and I have an FCS vertical that I really like too but haven't used it in AGES - I should get that out!

Slabs: I have Jeff's (Logan Bear Candle) and adore it, and 2 more on the way. Lovely stuff. Second best is my Kelsei slab, but the bars are too small. And always I will love my Misty Creeks but I cannot cut worth a damn so the sit there looking sad.

My favorite molds are ones that don't leak and are straight ... no angles and require that I don't take my batches to a thicker consistency to make them work.

Maybe some day I'll try Silvermoon, but as far as I'm concerned ... Logan Bear and Soap Hutch make the best molds, slab or log. As soon as I can afford to have what I want made, those two will be the ones I will go to. No one else. I'm done following or trying to jump on the bandwagon about random makers. Besides why try anyone else if these two guys are the ones who already make the best.

I prefer primarily wood molds for soaping before any other material. They just seem to give me the most optimal result. YMMV.

Slab mold~ Upland slab with the cut lines. I also love my divider TOG mold after lined it with mylar over the funky foam. Perfect. I adored my Misty Creek molds. But they were a PITA to cut with the wide guide slots. Sniff.

Log mold would be either an Upland or the various wooden log molds I've basterdized with silicone baking mats from eBay. I concocted many great molds like this, even the IKEA drawer organizer for small batches and testing. The soap comes out of the mold super easy and smooth as glass. I made nine 2 lb molds with the silicone for under fifty bucks. The type sized for the 9x5 bread pans are the best for this mold- less cutting and waste.

I currently have a good sized sheet of Lexan to line the larger log molds for my next experiment. Just awaiting on the cutting job, I don't touch power tools as such cuz I know my limitations. Hahaha. :grin2:

If ever to attempt once again to go to HDPE~ I'd order a Jeff mold.

Mine depend on my mood and the type of soap I am making. But I tend to gravitate toward my wood log mold or my Kelsei slab. Unmolding soaps in Kelsies gets easier with each batch. You have to get this mold good and seasoned.

I do have an Uplands that I bought several years back but the cut lines are not even so I don't use it much.

I would love, love, love a Logan Bear and Silvermoon mold. Some day......

I personally have found I like old wine boxes best :D they tend to be the perfect width and make a nice 12 bar loaf. I am just sick of lining it... I need to try out the silicone stuff...

I just got a 4 cavity vertical mold from for crafts sake and I am going to sell it because I just like making the single loaves the best... ??? I am heartbroken because I have coveted this mold for years... ah well. Anyone need a mold? rofl...

Log mold would be either an Upland or the various wooden log molds I've basterdized with silicone baking mats from eBay. I concocted many great molds like this, even the IKEA drawer organizer for small batches and testing. The soap comes out of the mold super easy and smooth as glass. I made nine 2 lb molds with the silicone for under fifty bucks. The type sized for the 9x5 bread pans are the best for this mold- less cutting and waste.

What a great idea is there a certain brand you buy? Do these heat up at all? I had to stop using craft foam in my logs, because it was heating them up too much and my soap would start splitting. I use the craft foam in my slabs only now.

I have 2 upland 12 bar molds that I don't use, because the cut lines aren't even. I have a 12/24 bar wooden tog mold that is too hard to get the soap out of, so I don't use it either. But, I love my silvermoon molds. They are the best, and only molds that I use. The silicone liner works great. I have the heavy plastic box, which will clean up real easy.

I like my Upland with cut lines for my goatsmilk soap and I wish the lines were more evenly placed but I have learned to deal with them. For my log molds I have breakaway molds that I need to line with freezer paper which is a pain but I am careful with the liners and can use them 8 or 9 times before having to make new liners. I hope to order some Silvermoon liners for the size I need and have hubby make the molds for me.

I absolutely LOVE my 2 Silvermoon molds!!!

Kymber~ I have to inquire, how long ago did you order from them? I sent her an email in the Spring for two reasons. I don't like websites without carts that calculate shipping, and I wanted to know about gift certificates. We emailed back and forth a few times for a few days. I bring this up because the GC was from a member of this board that sponsered a contest and gave choice on the vendor.

During this time, they put in a cart that did calculate shipping. The quote she gave me, not once, {i questioned it because it was high] but twice, was over 20.00 difference. This was not a custom mold. It was stock. Since then, I was a little put off by this company and didn't order the mold.

Now~ I've seen countless problems with these molds on shipping time, email correspondence and lack of quality. On other forums they don't even advertise anymore, when once they were there every week. I am guessing they were overwhelmed and made some sacrifices d/t time schedule or something happened.

I'm very wary of companies that do business this way.

Soycrazy- I haven't had any heat issues, yet and hopefully not ever. LOL!

I bought the blue silicone Lillian Vernon bread pan size- the seller is shrevescloseouts on eBay. He sells them in lots of 6-36. I'll caution you that he ships cheaply, but parcel post took a while to get them to me.

The quality was excellent, and they are in the original boxes. Smooth as glass.

My favourite is my mold from Soaphutch. It's a custom design and I got it in April and it's the only mold I use now. It can make any size bar I want. I can make 3 logs of 15 1" bars in a 3.5x2.25 size (the height can go up to 3.75" though. It can also make 3 logs of 15 1" bars in a 3 1/8x2 1/8 size. It can also make 16 individual (divider) bars that are 3.5x2.25 high or 32, 54 of divider bars that you can then cut each log into it's own bar. Or I can fill the whole slab or make several different bars in the log style with the many dams I ordered. The possibilities are endless really and I was so blown away by the craftmanship and attention to detail. It doesn't have to be lined, is easy to clean up and easy to use.

I have had mine for several months. They both were custom molds. I ordered them back when they were fairly new and had NO problems whatsoever. They took about 2 weeks to make and another week to get to me. At that time they were very quick at answering emails. I did recently (in the past couple months) request another quote as I wanted 2 more molds....the molds were still about the same price but the wooden boxes were higher then before. I know they ran into some major problems when the guy who made their boxes got sick and that put them way behind. The silicone molds themselves are awesome and are top notch quality. I have read where one person is having problems with their soap sticking. Mine comes out slicker then a whistle every single time.....have never had an issue.

Kymber~ I have to inquire, how long ago did you order from them? I sent her an email in the Spring for two reasons. I don't like websites without carts that calculate shipping, and I wanted to know about gift certificates. We emailed back and forth a few times for a few days. I bring this up because the GC was from a member of this board that sponsered a contest and gave choice on the vendor.

During this time, they put in a cart that did calculate shipping. The quote she gave me, not once, {i questioned it because it was high] but twice, was over 20.00 difference. This was not a custom mold. It was stock. Since then, I was a little put off by this company and didn't order the mold.

Now~ I've seen countless problems with these molds on shipping time, email correspondence and lack of quality. On other forums they don't even advertise anymore, when once they were there every week. I am guessing they were overwhelmed and made some sacrifices d/t time schedule or something happened.

I'm very wary of companies that do business this way.

Soycrazy- I haven't had any heat issues, yet and hopefully not ever. LOL!

I bought the blue silicone Lillian Vernon bread pan size- the seller is shrevescloseouts on eBay. He sells them in lots of 6-36. I'll caution you that he ships cheaply, but parcel post took a while to get them to me.

The quality was excellent, and they are in the original boxes. Smooth as glass.

• 4 months later...

I currently have a good sized sheet of Lexan to line the larger log molds for my next experiment. Just awaiting on the cutting job, I don't touch power tools as such cuz I know my limitations. Hahaha. :grin2:

Hi

I was looking at these old posts about molds as I'm looking for one. I noticed that you made your own 2lb molds and used silicone to line them. I found the stuff on ebay that you used, but could you share how you cut it to fit the molds??:confused:

Thanks

Carol

Tha the input......I did have a Misty and I sold it last year because I could not cut the bars straight.

Im thinking I need me a LoganBear mold!

Kris

Then you need to check out these mold!

http://www.bunniesworkshop.com/soap_molds.html

These are the same as the MistyCreek molds EXCEPT that the knife slots are mere SLITS and there is absolutely NO play with the knife. Perfect bars each and every time!

I have 2 of them. the 25 bar mold and the 8 bar mold. I plan to buy at least two more 25 bar molds in the summer! They are very well made and the wood is thick and straight! The price is very reasonable too.

But it's a good isea to get the knife that is made for them as well as the Misty Creek knife is way too thick to even fit in the slits!

Then you need to check out these mold!

http://www.bunniesworkshop.com/soap_molds.html

These are the same as the MistyCreek molds EXCEPT that the knife slots are mere SLITS and there is absolutely NO play with the knife. Perfect bars each and every time!

I have 2 of them. the 25 bar mold and the 8 bar mold. I plan to buy at least two more 25 bar molds in the summer! They are very well made and the wood is thick and straight! The price is very reasonable too.

But it's a good isea to get the knife that is made for them as well as the Misty Creek knife is way too thick to even fit in the slits!

That's a cool mold!!! I have one like the Misty's that is the biggest piece of junk ever! The knife slots leave lots of play room in my mold. I've only used it once and it split the first use and I did not even use it in the oven.