upc code

klo

I contacted the UPC-code people and got quote for my business... You would have to have a different code for every product and every different version of that product, IE one code for each scent in each product (4 candles x 20 scents = 80 codes) and that's just candles. I would cost me $1,750 a year to maintain my UPC liscence ( about 275 codes) with them on top of the $750 signup fee and I think there was another fee to generat the UPC codes... You also have to follow VERY strick standards about the size, condition and type of label.

Thought this might help.

Matthew

It's very expensive to get a legal bar code. For your own personal use you can print them all you want, but when you get out into the retail world ya gotta follow the rules like Matthew outlined. I think I figured it would cost me about $2K.

Some POS systems allow a generic test manufacturing ID - you might ask if he has one of those available with some unused codes for you to use. Though that's not really legal - even these resellers who sell you bits and pieces of a manufacturing ID aren't really kosher.

I contacted the UPC-code people and got quote for my business... You would have to have a different code for every product and every different version of that product, IE one code for each scent in each product (4 candles x 20 scents = 80 codes) and that's just candles. I would cost me $1,750 a year to maintain my UPC liscence ( about 275 codes) with them on top of the $750 signup fee and I think there was another fee to generat the UPC codes... You also have to follow VERY strick standards about the size, condition and type of label.

Thought this might help.

Matthew

why were you looking into it? Did you have a vendor that required it? From what I understand larger businesses require this so I could be tracked if something went wrong. I guess thats how they do the recalls.