Some hang up on containers using soy

I have a question regarding soy wax candles. I have been making soy candles for almost a year now and have finally got my perfect wax (so far) and am using Cd wicks. Keeping in mind that you need to develop a complete burn pool at a slow rate (4-5 hours) do all soy candles leave a slight film on the glass as they burn down? I have actually never purchased a soy candle and was thinking about doing that just to see how it would burn. My candles look great, throw scent, etc. but they always leave a slight film the glass. Maybe it is the nature of soy? :confused:

I think it is partly related to the fragrance oil you use. I have some that do that, some that don't.

No one has complained about this, in fact they still compliment on the complete burn with no waste.

The times where I don't get it, I feel that I've overwicked because I have a very very deep melt pool.

I don't consider this a problem, but will be really interested in hearing other people's responses.

There is a difference in film and hang-up. Sometimes when making a decision between wicking up to have a clean glass and heating up the glass beyond what is comfortable to handle, I choose to keep the cooler wick. Simply to eliminate a slight film, IMHO, it is not worth overwicking the container.

Keeping in mind that you need to develop a complete burn pool at a slow rate (4-5 hours)

If you mean that you should be wicking the container for the last half of the burn, I agree. Since you are using CDs, perhaps you might want to try some CDNs of the same size and see if the slight increase in efficiency will "clean" your containers better. JBN has sample packs. :)

I use 464 and CDs, and a properly wicked candle will leave a film behind, and sometimes some thicker looking drips in places. Not a heavy hangup, but definitely not clean glass either. If I wicked to get the glass clean, it would be WAY too hot. This is only an issue with glass containers- with tins any film isn't visible.

Here is an example with a dark colored wax in a 16 oz apoth with a cd 22:

2230324091_ab67dececd.jpg

And a different angle:

2230321597_0fcbeace1a.jpg

-Kristi

I am using my own personal blend of three waxes, but I can safely say I do not have that much hang up, but even what you are showing would not be a problem for me if it's wicked properly. I still call that "no waste".

ETA: In fact, I wouldn't even call what I have hang up, but a film.

I have been testing some larger jars lately and I'm getting more of a hang-up than I should. The CD14-16 has always worked for this jar, wide mouth mason, using GB/GF435 with a 11/07 batch. I'm sure it's the wax, seems a little harder than usual, I see more of the white layer in this batch. Sure hope my whole skid is not the same batch....

I use 464 and CDs, and a properly wicked candle will leave a film behind, and sometimes some thicker looking drips in places. Not a heavy hangup, but definitely not clean glass either. If I wicked to get the glass clean, it would be WAY too hot. This is only an issue with glass containers- with tins any film isn't visible.

Here is an example with a dark colored wax in a 16 oz apoth with a cd 22:

2230324091_ab67dececd.jpg

And a different angle:

2230321597_0fcbeace1a.jpg

-Kristi

Well, I just don't test this time of year except for scent. This is the one time of year that my house is about 80 degrees and that really affects the meltpool with 464! My wintertime temp is about 70, so that's quite a difference. I typically test in the spring or fall when the house is about 75 degrees, so I'm partway between the two, and where most people who buy keep their homes year round.

That said, now is the time of year that I get the least hangup... that apoth was tested in the spring though.

-Kristi