rolled beeswax wicking question

I bought some beeswax sheets and 2/0 and 1/0 sq braid wick from betterbee. I cut 1 sheet in half and made 2 straight 8 " candles using the 2/0 wick. The diameter is 3/4". I cut another sheet on an angle and made 2 tapered candles that are under an inch at the top and 1 1/2 " on the bottom. I used the 2/0 for this as well. They are wrapped pretty tight. Both spilled over the top. What am I doing wrong? I haven't tried it yet but won'ta larger wick be too big ?

I also made a 2 inch diameter pillar with a 1/0 wick and that one seems ok so far except the wick stays very long. Is there a better wick I should be using or is there a self trimming wick I could use for rolled beeswax?

Before I started using taper molds to pour my beeswax tapers I tried the sheets and absolutely hated them. I never found a wick that burned right without dripping......it may be out there but I never found it.

You want a wick that consumes the wax faster, to prevent the dripping, so yes you need to go bigger. With my square braid wicks I also trim the wick very short, 1/8" usually. It pretty much self trims, but occasionally I do trim it more. Good luck!! :cool2:

• 2 weeks later...

I've made tons of beeswax tapers, and never had a problem with the wicking. I find 2/0 works really well, and never have any drips unless there is a draft somewhere. I've also tried 3/0, and it also seems to work well, with the added benefit that the candle burns longer. I've always found the rolled tapers easy and fun.

I agree that the 2/0 is a good wick, and I've never had spill over, I also have never been thrilled with it cuz your burnt wick ends up getting longer and you have this tall flame and you need to trim and relight.

I'm now using CD-4 (primed and spooled) and I love it. Self trimming, perfect burn. Don't have to touch it.