How accurate is the q-tip test?

Darbla

I know a lot of you use sniffies of q-tips/cotton swabs dipped in an FO to guage the scent, but how accurate does that really represent the FO in a finished product? You know they're different OOB than in a product, so it seems like the cotton swab would be closer to the OOB scent than the (usually better) finished product scent.

Darbla

No it's not accurate. You don't get any of the chemistry going on, the synergies, you can't sense how a base will mask or change a fragrance...

All you know is how less of the stuff smells when put on a cotton swab.

I see no point to it myself - and I believe people generally use them to judge potential blends rather than trying to predict how an FO will perform in a product. Yanno - one swab of A + one swab of B...

I agree. I don't think it's all that accurate.

When I test pour a FO, and I do this w/o adding dye, I also pour a votive. I store these in a polypro bag and save it until I have another votive that I want to see if they work together. I melt the same portions together and I think that is the best way.

At least it's what I want to do.

Also, when I pour a set of container candles, I always have one votive amount left. I save these also to test later. I keep them stored in a dark, cool place.

I have tried the Q-tip method to get a 'sense' of what a fragrance combo would smell like. But mostly I find I can't get a good enough sniffie out of them to judge in any case.

The only way to be certain is to put the scent in your application.

I never use q-tip to gauge a scent. If I want to get a sense of the dry down for an FO, I'll use some blotter paper but not a q-tip.

The only time I really see folks taking about q-tips is when one person wants to sniff a scent that sounds good on paper. Then I see them send "sniffies" back and forth that way.

In my house, blotter paper is the way to go.

I think to send as sniffies in order to get a "rough" idea of what a scent smells like OOB, it usually is fine. Also, to get a "rough" idea of what 2 or more scents "may" smell together as a blend, it's a way to get a "rough idea". I only do B&B, so for me, it helps when I want to come up with fun blends. I know that a FO in application often smells much different(& sometimes totally different) than OOB, but I'm weird in some ways: if I HATE a FO OOB, 90% of the time, it gets thrown in the box of oils I don't use. I know that's not fair to the FO(:grin2: ), but it's ok, because I have way too many FO's to begin with! But yea, IMO, the whole Q-tip thing is really for a quick whiff to quench your OOB curiosity(& sometimes works to trade sniffies, especially if it's a really expensive oil & someone can only spare a swab).