Ultramarines and Oxides

MichelleOH

I'm anxiously awaiting this answer also. Made first soap today. Have been perusing all the soap dyes etc. and have been kind of confused as to the best way to color CP & HP soap. Like I need to spend more money on supplies ya know!! :) Hubby finally got me moved to the basement last week-got a big room all to myself and he made me a work bench and shelves all along one wall- about 16 feet of work bench. I'm in chandler/soaper heaven!! And we have a kitchen again. :D

Connie

They're both inorganic pigments. Ultramarines are based on different minerals that are reacted with calcium and sulfur, oxides are based on iron oxides. The first ultramarine was made of lapis lazuli and gave a blue, the first iron oxides were red (think rust). Now you can get a pretty good range of colors.

For B&B they are all manufactured - natural oxides and ultramarines can't be used because of the unknown heavy metal content that can occur.

The colors stay pretty true - not like FDC dyes that change with pH. I class them as "natural"-ish :) , though some don't. I find UM and oxides act about the same - I use UM for violet/blue/green, and oxide for red/black/yellow/orange.