votives vs jars

They both have their place with customers. I recommend votives for people who don't want to burn a candle for more than a couple hours at a time. If someone has the time to burn a candle 3-4 hours, then I'll recommend a jar. But as far as a jar being better than a votive.......sorry, just not true!! :cool2:

I have a scent in a votive that covers more space then in an 8oz jar (still testing)

I've got jars that cover more space then a votive, it's the size of the melt pool, and usually they don't generally cover the same space if the jar is larger. :2cents:

My votives will cover a larger area, not just small bathrooms, etc. I won't use an FO if it doesn't, as I sell lots of votives and my customers expect a good throw. A jar will naturally cover an even larger area, like Art said because it's wider and has a deeper mp. I don't know what wax or wicks you are using for your votives, or maybe you need to use a bit more FO to get a better throw. :cool2:

My votives will cover a larger area, not just small bathrooms, etc. I won't use an FO if it doesn't, as I sell lots of votives and my customers expect a good throw. A jar will naturally cover an even larger area, like Art said because it's wider and has a deeper mp. I don't know what wax or wicks you are using for your votives, or maybe you need to use a bit more FO to get a better throw. :cool2:

I use 4794 with cd 6 w/ fo at 6% (maximum I guess)

I use that wax but with LX12s and I get decent throw. I use the same percent as you too (1 oz per pound of wax). It's good but of course I'm always looking for something better so I will soon be testing KY para/soy votive wax.

Also think about what temperature your wax is at when you add FO, and how long you stir it in. The FO won't bind with the wax if it's too cool. I add FO at 175-185, and stir at least 2 minutes to make sure it has time to bind with the wax before pouring.

I like votives because my ADHD self doesn't like being stuck with the same scent for weeks. :D I never would finish up a jar and would end up storing it (another negative) when I can burn a votive up in a few days and then pick another scent. I like that I can buy a bunch of different scents for the same price as one jar candle.

Darbla