Would you be mad if.........

a vendor decided to charge your debit card more than a month after placing your order? I ended up with an overdraft fee because of this. I thought your card was supposed to be charged at the time of purchase!?! :confused: I missed it on our bank statement that they hadn't charged me, hubby thought we had more money than what we did, and the rest is history! (Did I mention that I am cutting up his debit card, too? :mad: )

No. I would record the charge as if it was in there already, thereby balancing my account and avoiding an overdraft.

That's what I do. Keep track and tic them off as they clear.

I would most likely have inquired after a couple of weeks, though. Highly unusual for a charge to appear a month later. A week or 2 maybe, but a month? Highly unusual.

No, I wouldn't be mad. Maybe a little relieved at having been given a "grace period" before I have to pay for it. In any case, I would treat it as money already spent (i.e. deducting it from the check register) as I don't expect to get it for free just because they are slow to charge my debit card, nor do I want to accidentally spend the money again. I don't know what the rule is for a time frame, but as long as you deduct it from your check register right when you made the purchase, it shouldn't cause you any problems in the future.

I would be mad at myself for not remembering the charge had not come out yet, but not at the vendor.

Now, I had a vendor charge my debit card for a year's worth of sales tax on items I had purchased the year before (tax free using my tax ID#). That PI%$ED me off and was not my fault. I did get my money back and the fees they caused by charging my card without my permission for something I should not have been debited for.

It may not be the vendor's fault. I have had my mortgage payment not show up on my account four weeks after I paid it. The bank that has my mortgage said they were paid immediately, my bank misplaced the transaction. Same with some atm transactions, but they still have the right to take the money but you did authorize it.

No, I would not be mad. If I received the merchandise, I would not expect to get it free because of an oversight on the vendors part. If they overcharge, I would notify them and it they did not charge me for it I would follow up and find out why I had not been charged.

no, I wouldn't be mad ~ you should have logged it properly and this never would have happened. If I were the hubby, I would be mad at you for not logging it, and I would cut up YOUR card :P

seriously though, things happen. Our CC gateway company didn't charge us our monthly fee for 3 months in a row at the beginning of this year. Finally DH got curious and called them and asked them why and they said it was a glitch from when they upgraded their software, and they would have caught it at their next audit (done twice a year) and billed us for the whole chunk all at once. Wouldn't have mattered to us, it all added up the same because I logged it every month, but just giving you an example of why/when something can be charged well after it was due/paid.

The online banking is great that is what i use but it is easy to not look back in the check book after it gets kinda old i did not bounce any thing but one time i had a debit take 3 months after i changed check books i did not forward that one. so it does have draw backs balancing a check book this way. but yes i to thought they should have a limit on how long they can take to charge it.

no, I wouldn't be mad ~ you should have logged it properly and this never would have happened. If I were the hubby, I would be mad at you for not logging it, and I would cut up YOUR card :P

quote]

Actually it was the hubby who used the card a few times and didn't give ME the receipts! LOL Trust me, I was ready to bust out the scissors on him and turn his card into rubbish in a hurry! :whip: As far as the order, the vendor hadn't shipped my merchandise either, and charged me on the day they shipped it. (more than a month after I ordered) This was after a few emails and two phone calls too. I just thought it was really weird to take so long to charge me. Maybe that's how they covered their butt--by not charging until they shipped it. Who knows? All is well now, though, so no biggie. Life goes on. I think when I initially posted, it was a combo of PMS and PHS. (putting up with the husband's sh##! LOL)