What is your favorite oil to add........

Lorraine

to your melt and pour soap bases? Been using the SFIC and trying to achieve that "perfect" bar of soap! I currently use coconut oil and castor oil---one for hardness and one for lather. I would like to add an oil for some moisturizing/health benefits. Any suggestions on which oils and what amounts? How about Sweet Almond Oil, Grapeseed oil, Jojoba Oil, Rice Bran Oil, or Tea tree Oil? Would appreciate your sharing any experience with these!

TIA!

Lorraine

So far personally I like olive oil and a little sweet almond oil...but beware the olive oil tends to make the soap sweat some (at least in our humidity) and I have to keep it on a rack for several days. I'm getting reading to try rice bran oil alone and mixed to see how that works.

Thank you both for your replys! I'll have to keep on playing with my different bases (from different suppliers) and the different oils. After Tea tree oil, I think I'd like to try some Sweet Almond oil next! Too many choices and not as much money! :sad2:

I've made mp with sao, ako, rbo, oo, and jojoba oil. I add 1tbsp per pound with great results. My sfic naturally comes out hard but its humidity I have issues with so I don't even bother making any during the summer time.

If you're not completely partial to oils maybe you could try some goat's milk! I don't make a bar without it now that I've learned what a wonder additive it is!! It moisturizes, softens, and just plain loves your skin! Try it~ you won't be sorry! You can add that in addition to any and all of the above mentioned oils too!

PrairieAnnie, do you add more goat's milk to a goat's milk base? I was just thinking this morning while washing my face how much I love my SFIC goat's milk soap! It has such a creamy, wonderful lather, so I think I agree with you on the wonders of goat's milk, but didn't understand if you add that to a "plain" base or in addition to a goat's milk base?

TIA,

Jane

Yes you sure can! I love to add butters to my MP soap! I would start with 1 to 2 TBS per pound of soap base depending on what other additives you have going on! :) My favorites are Shea, Cocoa and Mango.

*bows to the M&P goddess* :P

PrairieAnnie, do you add more goat's milk to a goat's milk base? I was just thinking this morning while washing my face how much I love my SFIC goat's milk soap! It has such a creamy, wonderful lather, so I think I agree with you on the wonders of goat's milk, but didn't understand if you add that to a "plain" base or in addition to a goat's milk base?

TIA,

Jane

I do! I haven't tried a GM base yet that I think has enough in it :D So I don't add quite as much, but yes, I add it to Goat Milk Base. For the past two years I have use only white bases though and add all of my extras because I think adding my own makes them better than using the pre added bases, but that's just me.

I have the GM powder. Would you add it to water to re constitute it or to the melted oils/butters?

I would reconstitute it. You don't have to follow the directions on the can either, just add enough water so that it's liquid enough to mix well. Double strength or more is okay :)