Berts Fo's in CP Soap Review

I was on a soap marithon...:D I had so many samples I wanted to test...so I soaped 23 scents...

I made a 3 lb. batch and divided it up into 3 oz. size bars..

Here are my results...I did do a water discount..and only used a wisk, as I had so many to do..I didn't want the Stick Blender to make it go to fast..

BubbleGum... Is was a med fast trace..smells good..cream with a just tinge of yellow..with 8 gran ones I thought they would like this one...

Sea Mist..Med Trace..cream color...I really like this smell

Key Lime Pie...Slow trace...med tan with a yellow tinge..smells really fresh..

Apricot papaya...Slow trace...light cream..seems to have lost some of the apricot smell..hopefully it will come back,,oob this is a beautiful scent...I also have it curing in GB soy..and it smellS great in wax too...but have not burned it yet..

Tranquil Sleep...med slow trace...light cream..this one smells really nice..

bayberry...fast trace...tanish yellow...I don't have other Bayberry's to compair, but this one is strong,,and I love it..

Oakmoss...fast trace..light tan...I love this one too...

Johnson's Bedtime Bath...slow trace.. light cream..light smell, but such a wonderful smell

Tea Leaf & Grapefruit..med fast trace..mustard yellow color...

I know that on her web site it does not say for soap...I have found another web site that carries alot of her same oils, ( at a much higher price) and they say it is soap safe..so I just wanted to give it a try in soap..I have also made this in my Gb 415 soy..I have not burned it yet, it is still curing, but smells strong in wax..

THE END...:D

How in the world did you make so many bars and still have time to use the fo in the right amounts etc? Granted, I'm a pretty new soaper, but i'm really curious, because it's something I'd like to try! haha I've never used bert's oils, but have been tempted by a few. Looking forward to your other results. :)

I made a 3lb. batch of soap..

the total weight with the lye and water allowed me to divide that into 23= 3oz bars...

I had my husband cut me a bunch of 2" wide pvc pipe, 3" long..I put saran wrap over one end, and duct taped it in place..

I then figured out the gram weight of how much FO I would need for a 3 lb batch of soap..and divided that up....

I had everything labeled, and ready before I ever poured my oils and lye together...

I even had my Fo weighted into coffee cups..:D coffee cups are good for more than coffee..

So with every thing ready and labeled I mixed my lye and oils..

and started measureing out the oils into each individual cup..

I would do 6 or 7 at a time..and them stir them up really good..

then would go on to the next 6 or seven..and I would constantly check on them to see if they were setting up fast, and give them another stir..You diffenitly have to be on your toes..but most importand is to be organized,,and have every thing labeled and ready..This is my second time to do it this way..I like doing this, that way you know if you are going to like a scent in soap,,and if you can color it..with out wasting very much...

I totally agree- great way to make small batches and scent as much of it as possible. Very very smart thinking. haha I was picturing you using a log mold with dividers in it and pouring individually. The way you described makes much more sense and doesn't seem as difficult, though it does still sound difficult. Just not as bad as what I was imagining! haha

I totally use coffee cups for holding my FO's too. :) Great minds think alike eh? ;)

I have found another web site that carries alot of her same oils, ( at a much higher price) and they say it is soap safe..

Then would you please look up that 'Essenza' for me? That stuff is begging me to put it in soap!

I made a 3lb. batch of soap..

the total weight with the lye and water allowed me to divide that into 23= 3oz bars...

I had my husband cut me a bunch of 2" wide pvc pipe, 3" long..I put saran wrap over one end, and duct taped it in place..

I then figured out the gram weight of how much FO I would need for a 3 lb batch of soap..and divided that up....

I had everything labeled, and ready before I ever poured my oils and lye together...

I even had my Fo weighted into coffee cups..:D coffee cups are good for more than coffee..

So with every thing ready and labeled I mixed my lye and oils..

and started measureing out the oils into each individual cup..

I would do 6 or 7 at a time..and them stir them up really good..

then would go on to the next 6 or seven..and I would constantly check on them to see if they were setting up fast, and give them another stir..You diffenitly have to be on your toes..but most importand is to be organized,,and have every thing labeled and ready..This is my second time to do it this way..I like doing this, that way you know if you are going to like a scent in soap,,and if you can color it..with out wasting very much...

I have done this too, but I did 3 bars of each scent(Tony's molds, work great for this) and only 6 scents. Works great, but I can't imagine doing 23 different scents. Wow that must have been a workout,LOL.

Kind of wondering how you know the scents on the other site are just like Berts for sure. Manufacturers "mix" what the purchaser asks for. You can get just for candles that is NOT skin safe, or for b&b & candles (skin safe), only for soy wax or only paraffin wax. You can choose a price range too, some cheaper fragrances are weak in applications. I've tested samples that I found too weak and had the manufacturer make a pricier, stronger FO. The same name on the bottle doesn't mean the same thing in the bottle, there are many variables. Some companies will not sell the same formulation to two suppliers. They tweak them a bit so it is exclusive to one supplier. Bert and the other higher priced supplier may buy from the same manufacturer but they could be very different formulations.

Glo

Edited to say I am not disparaging Berts FO's in any way, just saying that you can't be sure a fragrance oil is skin safe if the supplier you buy from can't confirm it.

Typically when dealing with clients of the size of our vendors business, manufacturers have "stock" fragrance oils that they sell "as is" without tweaking. If you know the manufacturer it is entirely likely you can get the same fragrance - only the big players like P&G get exclusives on fragrances.

While you can't be sure, IF you know the mfg and send them a sample the oil you can probably get the same thing.

THIS SAID, YOU CANNOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS ON SKIN SAFETY BASED ON THIS. And you cannot under any circumstances assume because they smell the same.

How do I know? I've worked in the fragrance oil manufacturing industry for almost 15 years now...

ETA: I love, and buy, Bert's fragrance oils. But I don't have enough confidence in her knowledge of her oils to put them in B&B products. She knows candle fragrances though - she kicks ASS on candle fragrances!