Newbie...Travel Candles Questions

I been reading older post about tin container candles and their seemed to be a lot of mixed feelings on this. Like I said many of these responses were old post and I would like to know what the current feelings about these candles are. Being new, I don't want to get my heart set on these (which it is:D ) and find that it's not such a good idea.

Another question is if a candle should not be burn below the last half inch, what's the point of the thin/shallow candle tins.

IMO, I don't understand the "travel candle in tins" theory.....what??? any other candle cant' travel? But what's the "travel" all about? What makes a tin candle travel better than a jar candle wtih a lid?

I travel on vacation with candles in my car, I don't lite them...I wait until I get to my destination, take them out of the box, take them into my room light them....aroma!

Travel candles you can light in your car?

I guess I could call mine "travel candles" too? Even though they are in jars?

the only reason I reply to this post is because this "travel" word is weird.....

C

What makes a tin candle travel better than a jar candle wtih a lid?

*chuckling* It ain't like they have wheels or anything!!:laugh2:

I dunno where that came from either, Candlelady. I prefer glass containers because they give off more light and look prettier to me, but I like tins, too, for certain applications. I don't sell as many tins as I do glass container candles - maybe because I don't pour as many of them (duh!), but when they are available, the customers buy them, so I guess people like 'em.

They sure are less expensive to make and lighter to ship, so that's a plus.

been reading older post about tin container candles and their seemed to be a lot of mixed feelings on this

People who make candles worry a lot about safety issues, and rightfully so. With the exception of melted "candles," anything with a flame carries a certain amount of risk, but that doesn't make candles a bad product - it means that they must be manufactured carefully and that people have to follow instructions and use SENSE when they use them. That last part is the kicker 'cause ya can't control what customers will do. The best thing is to study up and understand the pros & cons, test your products thoroughly and make the safest product that you can... AND then get liability insurance! :tongue2:

The theory is because you can pack a tin anywhere... with glass, you have to hope it won't break and pack it carefully, hence making the tins safer to cart around.

I think a lot of the older posts I have read, if they are the same ones, for some reason those members thought only "newbies" made tins, because they felt some who came in saw them as money makers and idiotproof. If it gets too hot, it won't shatter, just get hot.

I think the views have come a long way since the posts (especially what I've seen in archives) about a certain clique/sect of those proclaimed "years in" chandlers, but I think it has more to do with the expansion of ideas and the fact that some of these people are nowhere to be found anymore.

While the old board (and older posts) was more friendly, it was because it was a smaller clique, that was more agreeable. In the "newer" posts, there's a wealth more of information that doesn't set into a clique.

In fact, it's funny to see some of the older members, especially in archives back then bashing certain things and ways, but gushing about them years later, as if no one remembers. :P

I personally hate a tin candle as you don't get any aesthetic beauty out of it, it is dull and morbid. BUT there are many people out there who have been sold the idea so they like buying them and this is the reason I make them, to satisfy the customers:D

I like "travel" tins. They weigh less than glass containers and you still get flame so I'm not understanding the loss of beauty statements. ;) Also, it helps to scent your hotel room with scents you like. I sell alot of tins, mostly 6 oz., and testing 8 oz now.

Tins are the direction I'm leaning to. I'm a soap maker currently researching candles to add to my line up. I think for me the tins will be easier for transpo to my shows and not as heavy. I've already got the entire back of my truck loaded with soaps and B&B when I go, I'm thinking they won't take up as much space.

April

I'm of the school that candles should be either pillars or in glass containers as looking at the candle as it's burning and the light it throws is part of its beauty. especially in very low light conditions. Neither do I understand the concept of a "travel candle." I've taken glass container candles with me while traveling and have never had a problem with any of them. I've never made candles in tins and don't plan to, but they are good sellers so folks obviously like them. Just my thoughts here.

I like glass and tins. Tins are much cheaper than glass containers and cheaper to ship. My daughter just burned her first tin I sent her over the weekend and couldn't believe how perfect they burned. She has always burned my glass containers and loved them. I don't know why she would be so shocked that the tins are wonderful. I think you would be pleased to carry tins.

Rae