Selling candles

LynnS

I went into a store today and saw some 12 ounce JJ candles. They were $4.00. I thought impossible???? How can they do that. Well opened one up and it was filled to 8 ounce capacity. This was a first to me. I see the Dollar Store doing their maybe 4 ounce candles and only put in just a little over 2 ounces but haven't this by a candlemaker. They might as well get the 8 ounce JJ than the 12 ounce JJ. Seems to me they(8 oz JJ) would cost less and easier to find.

You know people will open them up and then seeing it is not all the 12 ounces they were thinking of buying for that price.:shocked2:

LynnS

Raise your standards and compare against someone else Lynn. I wouldn't worry what Dollar Store sells for. I'd worry about what I could sell for.

And ain't that American of them to do that? Think about the boxes of cereal that used to be bigger for the prices we paid and some how much smaller nowadays for the same price or more. I think it's the new American way (eight years or so going).

I was thinking how can they do that just for the cost alone for the jar(12 ounce). They were parafin but that wax I think is about the same price as soy. I buy my 8 ounce JJ for $5.35 a case at a supplier. But wherever they get these it has to be much more. The jars had the 2 piece lids and I used them when I first started but didn't like them. They have to get them at a store and pay more than a supplier would cost.

The candles were selling but not sure how long they have been on the shelf. Still like always certain scents people want.If it is not what they like the candles will sit.

I never compare my candles to the Dollar Store.I brought 1 to see how it was and in about 4 hours it burnt straight down the middle to the bottom of the jar. Only smelled the candle for an hour.

I am in Ohio and you will not sell a candle for more than $4.00 for the 8 ounces.Trust me I have been making candles for 4 years. I tried $5.00 and they walked by me. Some candlemakers sell for $3.50 but they might be quitting since the price of wax etc is going up. So far this year it is getting to the point they walk by you at $4.00.

LynnS

I thought you were making some sort of a comparison, albeit price. Wherever they get the candles, they probably draw the seller down to the bottom line or pour their own and maybe it's recycled glass, though I would think they'd say something. They may be buying in much bigger bulk that you are. You may be able to get a pallet and they may be able to get 20 pallets and I bet there's a cost break somewhere.

But you just said it yourself ... you bought one to see and look what it gave you ... an hour, if that, of something to smell.

IMO, and I'm sure I'll get some Sh*t for this but IMO...The jelly jars look cheap. They may be cute or prim or whatever but everyone knows jelly jars are cheap. They look like anyone could make them and they don't demand a higher price. I think that a unique jar will turn more heads and people will come over to look and then the look and scent will make them buy. Upgrade your look and you can upgrade your prices. Right now you are competing with the $4 crowd. Move up.

I'm sure I'll get some Sh*t for this
None from me, Carrie. I agree with you. Not everyone is into the "country" look. Classier jars can demand classier prices, even though they may not cost us any more/less than the canning jars. Know your market! For some customers, they don't care about "classy" and expect a less expensive price. For other markets (spas, etc.), a classy presentation can double the expected price for a candle. Just depends...

None from me, Carrie. I agree with you. Not everyone is into the "country" look. Classier jars can demand classier prices, even though they may not cost us any more/less than the canning jars. Know your market! For some customers, they don't care about "classy" and expect a less expensive price. For other markets (spas, etc.), a classy presentation can double the expected price for a candle. Just depends...

Well said, as always Stella. It's not always about looks for personal use - gotta think outside the box for what others want. I HATE the scent of lavender... guess what one of my best sellers is.

I also sell(try to) the classic jar for $5.00 and the 16 ounce country jar for $8.00 and never get sales at shows for those. Straight to JJ. Tried the apothecary a few years ago and those didn't sell. Will starting those again this fall. I do like a variety. Just doesn't work in this area.

LynnS

At least in the USA you have high import duties on your candles from China, we have free trade agreements with China and you know what that does to the price of candles!!! You have to aim for the other end of the market.

Just doesn't work in this area.

...OR at that particular venue. Local small craft fairs are *usually* not markets where you can command top dollar for candles. But you could probably get a better price by placing the same candles in a home decorating shop, upscale interior design accoutrements place, or a hair salon, etc.

Believe it or not, the place where I saw my first soy candle was in a local fresh produce market. The folks who own it are smart marketers and also sell baskets of produce, fruit, prepared foods, wines and local goodies for gifting. Those items are a lot more pricey than the straight produce!! The candles cost $10 for a 6 oz. candle back in 2003!! And they were in plain canning jars, if memory serves... whatever the container was, it wasn't impressive! Now at a local craft show, no way could they have gotten that, but as an impulse item when shopping for produce especially before feasting holidays when people are pressed for time and dropping bucks right and left, I not only bought one, I bought several and gave some away as gifts!! I thought I was very clever to have gotten such nice candles while I was getting produce for our holiday!! What a chump, eh? :embarasse:D

I did the same thing... ALL the time before I met the wonderful people here!

I dropped $8 for 6 oz'ers at a flea market. And now, and only now, do I realize how unsafe they were! (Overwicked.)

Reading through a lot of people's economic woe posts, I'm starting to wonder what the best media really is. Curiousity of course, I surely don't make enough to go to fairs or shows, but would someone be fair at commanding lower internet pricing since they have to factor in shipping, whereas at the local market, they could charge more upfront?

I do huge craft shows.At least 3 are big.One brings in 150,000 people but my friend counted candlemakers and there were 35 of us. So alot of walking for people because it is so big and by the time they get to me they already brought.Don't

make much money when you consider the size of the show.Then how many candlemakers there.It is in my county so I will continue to do it.For the stores(up scale) they sell Yan***.They never sell for those who make their own. They want to be upscale and won't sell local companies.I think that is wrong but they would be bombarded because there are hundreds of candlemakers within 25 miles of me.

I do have 2 Farmer's Markets near me.One is big and the other the man goes on streets in one town and sells.I think he does OK.Of course no candles just produce. He sells at different parking lots and does have a business on his property but not sure it does good. It is on a state route and the same road I live on.

Gets old sitting at shows and not making alot.I do fair but not what I want. I was looking this week at buildings and opening a shop on my property BUT do I want to take that chance.A big decision.

At one show this lady went to all the candlemakers and came back to me and said these are the best and I smelled them all. Made me feel good.But really most just go on and buy as they are shopping and forget about coming back.You can be at the beginning of a show and they want to look around or at the end of a show and they already purchased.A few look me up every year and when they are in my booth bragging I get other sales.

LynnS