Cargill P1

That's interesting... mine usually split down the side...:tongue2:

What temp did you heat it to?

(160°-200°F)

Did you add your triple-pressed stearic acid at this step?

(what percentage or amount - 5%-10% recommended)

and then your dye and FO?

(what kind of dye and amount of FO?)

At what temp did you pour?

(150°-170°F)

Were your molds slightly warmed before pouring?

The Handling Sheet for P1 makes certain recommendations (in italics above) that it does help to follow, but cracking can still occur... Some folks tame it by adding a percentage of C3 to it to make it slightly less brittle... The Handling Sheet states that you can add paraffin or Microcrystalline wax to make it perform better, but have to adjust pouring temps as a result...

The bottom line is that P1 is a mean, mean wax. Supposedly, it's been reformulated but I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the new stuff yet to test.

If you search the forums for NatureWax P2, there was a recent post... also search for NatureWax P1 for other tips, etc.

I found EcoSoya PB to be far kinder...:wink2:

That's interesting... mine usually split down the side...:tongue2:

What temp did you heat it to?

(160°-200°F)

Did you add your triple-pressed stearic acid at this step?

(what percentage or amount - 5%-10% recommended)

and then your dye and FO?

(what kind of dye and amount of FO?)

At what temp did you pour?

(150°-170°F)

Were your molds slightly warmed before pouring?

The Handling Sheet for P1 makes certain recommendations (in italics above) that it does help to follow, but cracking can still occur... Some folks tame it by adding a percentage of C3 to it to make it slightly less brittle... The Handling Sheet states that you can add paraffin or Microcrystalline wax to make it perform better, but have to adjust pouring temps as a result...

The bottom line is that P1 is a mean, mean wax. Supposedly, it's been reformulated but I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the new stuff yet to test.

If you search the forums for NatureWax P2, there was a recent post... also search for NatureWax P1 for other tips, etc.

I found EcoSoya PB to be far kinder...:wink2:

I heated to 190

I used 4 oz of the Stearic Acid(bittercreek)

drop of dye and .5oz of FO

I forgot to right down the pouring temp. Maybe it was around 180. I didn't heat the molds.

I got the wax from Lonestar since they are so close to me. They don't have P2.

Next time, I will try adding a little c3 and see what happens.

I noted a couple of things... If that is a 3" pillar and you have been burning it for 5 hours straight, that WILL enhance the tendency to crack. Test burn for 1 hour per inch of diameter.

You didn't mention how much wax you used... 4 oz. might be a LOT or not much, depending on the amount of wax to which it was added. You need to be able to convert the oz. to a percentage so that you know whether you are using enough, too much or too little. Same with the FO.

How's the hot throw?

I like the warm buttery color - very pretty!

Hope you are having fun! :)

Wow! 4 oz. of stearic to 12 oz. of wax is 33.3%! (please tell me we are talking about weights here and not liquid ounces or measuring cups...)!! That's not to say it wouldn't work, but I would suggest starting with the manufacturer's recommendations and then go from there if you have problems. 5% per pound would be about .6 oz... 10% would be about 1.2 oz. For 1 oz. per pound FO load (6.25%), you would use .75 oz. of FO.

Remember: all of those amounts are in weight and not volume. Be sure to use a scale to weigh your ingredients.

Before you just "add some C3," try weighing your ingredients and using the recommended amounts and testing your candle for proper wicking, etc. before you change your formula.:wink2:

Wow! 4 oz. of stearic to 12 oz. of wax is 33.3%! (please tell me we are talking about weights here and not liquid ounces or measuring cups...)!! That's not to say it wouldn't work, but I would suggest starting with the manufacturer's recommendations and then go from there if you have problems. 5% per pound would be about .6 oz... 10% would be about 1.2 oz. For 1 oz. per pound FO load (6.25%), you would use .75 oz. of FO.

Remember: all of those amounts are in weight and not volume. Be sure to use a scale to weigh your ingredients.

Before you just "add some C3," try weighing your ingredients and using the recommended amounts and testing your candle for proper wicking, etc. before you change your formula.:wink2:

I did weigh every thing. I guess what the instructions on Nu-scent's was way too much. This is what they have

FORMULA: 12 oz. Nature Wax P-1 + 4 oz. Nu-Scents Palm

Stearic Acid = 16 oz. Total (1 lb. of wax)

Add fragrance and dye, then stir thoroughly.

Lonestar didn't have instructions as far as adding the stearic. I will try your suggestions. Thank you so much.

Yeah, I went there and read their suggestions - perhaps that formula has given them great results, but it isn't in line with the manufacturer's recommendations...

I am so glad you weighed everything - that sometimes gives people fits when they are mixing weights with volumes, not realizing there is a difference!

Good luck! :)