Opinions on adding CA to Shampoo Bars

maryann

Help please!

I'd like to hear opinions on adding Citric Acid to lower the pH in shampoo bars.

I found this thread which was helpful http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55383&highlight=adding+citric+acid+to+soap

I'm wondering if adding a citric acid/water mixture (I thought about holding back 1oz of water from the lye/water to dissolve the CA) at trace will cut down on neutralizing the lye.

Or am I better off using the max amount of water that the recipe calls for, let it sit 2 weeks to saponified but still being soft for an easier rebatch adding the CA then?

Thank you :smiley2:

Hi, I normally just lurk but have played around with citric acid. I was also warned that it won't work as it will neutralize the lye. I made some soap about four months ago with a recipe that is normally extremely hard and added some dissolved citric acid at trace (can't remember how much exactly, but quite a lot). The soap was extremely soft and gel looking when I unmolded and I put it aside with great disappointment. I had a look at it this week and it has become rock-hard, it sudses like crazy and feels very gentle. It definitely turned into soap. I don't have a PH meter, but wish I did.

I have also been told that you can add some dissolved citric acid to your lye water, but have been so busy I have not tried that yet.

I always listen with interest to people's opinion on what will happen when you do something out of the ordinary, but I then like to go and try it out myself (I guess I have a trust issue :D). I wish other people will play around with this to and report their results.

I would like to know about also. I find shampoo bars to be too harsh for my hair (even with a vinegar rinse) and have been looking for a way to lower the pH.

Digit

This is my problem too :undecided

hanle thank you for your experience. I need to just try it as well in a small batch. :smiley2:

The soap was extremely soft and gel looking when I unmolded and I put it aside with great disappointment. I had a look at it this week and it has become rock-hard, it sudses like crazy and feels very gentle.

Don't you just love surprises like that? :yay: I am so glad it worked out for you. Thank you for posting your experience! Maybe I will give it a go this weekend.

Did you subtract the liquid used to dissolve the citric acid in, from your lye liquid?

Digit

Yes, I did. As I said, I did this quite a while ago and didn't take notes. After reading this thread, I tried it as shampoo without a vinegar rinse and it did feel better than my other soaps. Subjective observation, but my hair seems to have more of a shine than normal.

The soap was really weird-looking when I first unmolded. It had a harder crust and almost gel-like inside.