shipping??

Do you add the shipping cost into your candles when you price them?

That is the way I was pricing my candles, but my accountant said not to because shipping is an expense.

So how does everyone else price their candles?

If you buy your jars for .80 then pay for shipping to your home, do you add the shipping cost onto all your products ordered? Or a percentage?

Is my accountant right? shipping is an expense and is not to be added into the cost of making candles?

The shipping cost of getting materials to you is part of the manufacturing cost and is always figured into the bottom line before markup. While it is categorized separately for bookkeeping purposes, it must be included when figuring how much something costs you to make.

Your accountant may be on crack.

Do you add the shipping cost into your candles when you price them?

That is the way I was pricing my candles, but my accountant said not to because shipping is an expense.

So how does everyone else price their candles?

If you buy your jars for .80 then pay for shipping to your home, do you add the shipping cost onto all your products ordered? Or a percentage?

Is my accountant right? shipping is an expense and is not to be added into the cost of making candles?

Bottom line, if you have to pay for it, it's added into your totals. If you ship to someone else, you aren't paying shipping so that would fall under another category, but paying shipping to you for supplies is indeed included in the cost. (Thanks to CS forum for that one, though I can't remember where now.)

I agree with Stella. I can see how your accountant may want you to keep 'shipping' listed as a seperate company expense than say candle wax. But if he thinks it shouldn't be a part of your production costs I second getting another accountant.