Frustrated with Life of the Party Molds M&P

kinipela

I was at Michael's on Friday and checked out their soap molds. I ended up buying a set of the square Life of the Party molds and the rubber stamp inserts. I tried one when I get home with straight SFIC shaving base and an insert. No color, no fo. I took it out the next morning and it's rubbery. It came out fine though. Saturday I did two with inserts, two different fo's and mica, straight SFIC base.

When I got home from work tonight, I finally got them out. They are mangled and soooo soft. It's like they didn't harden at the bottom (top) of the mold. Has anyone successfully used these?

I've used the LOP molds in the past w/ no problems, but I don't know about the stamp things.

Hmm, comfortscents (I think) posted about something weird w/ her m&p. I've been having problems w/ my last 2 batches being way too soft...same recipe, same base, same molds :angry2: Now you're having problems.

Maybe we need a brainstorming session!

All SFIC? The shaving base was from a swap and I've used almost all of it. That was the first one, and it's almost rubbery. The second (with fo/color) was honey, a new container that I haven't used before... Those two are SOFT. Even after sitting out a few hours now, I can make dents in them just by pushing. I've never had that before!

did you get your base direct from SFIC?

I buy samples of their soap every year or so and think I just might finally switch over to them, but this last time I ordered from KY and decided it really wasn't any better than I was already using. Years ago the SFIC was a harder finished soap, which is what I was looking for because I also feel like my other soap base has been getting softer every time I order.

This time the SFIC seemed softer as well :undecided

I used to buy from 2 suppliers and blend my own because one was terribly soft and I couldn't get my 3D soaps out of their molds without marring them, and the other base was so dry and hard that it would almost crumble when I would cut it (big 20-25 lbs. blocks), but together it was a great soap base!

Unfortunately, the "hard" stuff keeps getting softer and now I use it alone and no longer buy the soft stuff to blend it. The soft stuff was cheap and really made my dollar stretch, so I really wish I could make it work again!

I was going to say that I noticed Life of the Party molds you have to pour soap at a cooler temp, but maybe you're just talking about how soft your soap is when you take it out rather than what happens to the actual mold. I've had my molds warp from pouring at my normal temps for other molds. So I pour a lot cooler with these molds.

As for the SFIC base. I got some in the swap and noticed it was much more 'emollient' is the best word I can describe it? I really like it! I noticed it's just a tad bit softer, but to me, it feels as though we got fresh soap -- not one that's changed hands a few times and has been sitting around to dry a bit. But, that's my experience so far. Maybe you got a bad batch? I got the white and clear base. Both are just fine...better than usual actually.

Sometimes I get rubbery mp soap when it's been overheated. I used to melt the soap in the microwave, and sometimes didn't check up on the soap until it was too late.

I haven't experienced my mp not hardening. (It's been awhile since I've done a project with a mp base.) :embarasse

Try to answer everyone at once - The shaving was direct from SFIC from a co-op two times ago (February-ish?). The honey was from KY, where I get all my SFIC from, unless it's a co-op. I emailed Vickey and she said no one else has complained about the honey. The honey is so soft, I can take a metal spoon and spoon it out fairly easily. It was heck getting them out of the molds, and they are so soft I can still make a depression with my thumb and very little pressure. I'll try to get pics posted, my camera isn't liking my comp right now. The shaving can darn near be bent in half. None of my other soaps made off that same block were like that.

I rarely use the microwave, and these were done with a double boiler, same as all of mine, nothing was different except the molds. :undecided

I checked the tubs of shea and gm, and they are hard. It seems to be just the honey. Vickey from KY forwarded my email to SFIC.