Misleading about Perservatives?

CBE

Is Optiphen Plus a synthetic perservative? I know it's the choice of perservative to use if you want paraben and formaldehyde free... but is it still a synthetic perservative? Or is it considered a natural perservative?

Isn't it misleading to your customers (and the public no doubt) when you stress the fact that you don't use synthetic perservatives in your products, only natural perservatives...... but yet... you have a perservative listed in your ingredients?

Not being catty... Just askin' :D

Perhaps you should explain to your customers that bacteria, mold, fungus, etc. are also natural but they certainly don't want them growing in their products. Not being catty, either, just practical. There is not a natural preservative that I know of that will do what needs to be done with products that require preservation.

Perhaps you should explain to your customers that bacteria, mold, fungus, etc. are also natural but they certainly don't want them growing in their products. Not being catty, either, just practical. There is not a natural preservative that I know of that will do what needs to be done with products that require preservation.

I "stumbled" across a website that indicates in their policies that they only use natural perservatives. But listed in some of their ingredients... is Optiphen Plus (Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid). Other products though, ONLY contain naturals, like Vit. E, Grapefruit Seed Extract, etc. (which by the way, in some of these products, IMO they NEED the Optiphen (or some other kind of perservative) to perserve it, because no amount of "natural perservatives" is going to work to perserve it :shocked2: , but that's a whole different story, LOL)

To me, the fact that they say they don't use synthetic perservatives, and they do... is very misleading to people. That's why I was wondering, do some people say/think that Optiphen Plus is a natural perservative?

I'm not trying to dog anybody and their business (because it sounds like I am), I was just wondering what everyone considers "natural" perservatives. :)

Maybe they're touting Optiphen Plus as "natural" because it doesn't contain formaldehyde? Geez, who knows that goes through folks' minds. And, in my never-to-be-humble opinion, you SHOULD question business practices that you think are suspect. In all likelihood, you'd be right. And you're looking out for all of us when you do that.