What the heck happened?

dcso580

I've seen a lot of things happen in soaping, but what is this mess? This is a batch using EVOO, CO, Lard, PO, CB, SB, Caster, and Red Clover Tea FO. Mixed Lye and oils at about 85 degrees, brought to a light to medium trace, then added the FO. Within about 10 seconds, I got thick, clumpy apple sauce. I went ahead and globbed into the mold and tried to swirl. I covered and thought it would finish out ok, as I had another batch with Fresh Air FO do the same thing. After 1 hour I peeked and this is what I found. There's a semi hardened layer, under about 1/4 inch of oils.

Any suggestions, opinions, or expert testimony would be appreciated. Advice on saving the batch would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

post-9220-13945844815_thumb.jpg

My guess would be that when it riced you didn't continue to blend until it came back together. It seems to have separated. I'd say put it in the crockpot and cook it HP. If that's truly what happened to it, your soap should HP just fine.

Thank you Carrie! I've never HP before, but I guess I'll learn the differences now. I tried to stir through it, but it just kept getting thicker and thicker. I paniked and thought I needed to get it into the mold to "save" it.

Thanks again! That saved the batch and it turned out quite well. I wasn't able to do the HP, it had been too long (overnight). I think I did what we'll call a combo HP/rebatch. I'm kinda glad it flopped now that it's over, I learned alot!