Different Palm waxes

Hello all,

Just a quick question. What are some other types of palm wax for containers that you all are using? I am using GG from CS and I just don't think it will ever burn right for me. I've done different pour temps, relief holes, different wicks, no scent, no color, as so on, and it just doesn't seem to burn well for me. Lots of sooting and big flames.

I'm thinking about trying some different palm container wax and wanted some suggestions of other brands/distributors that you have had success with.

I heard of a type that is beaded as opposed to the flakes I have gotten from CS. Where can I find that stuff? :)

Thanks,

Bruce

Hello all,

Just a quick question. What are some other types of palm wax for containers that you all are using? I am using GG from CS and I just don't think it will ever burn right for me. I've done different pour temps, relief holes, different wicks, no scent, no color, as so on, and it just doesn't seem to burn well for me. Lots of sooting and big flames.

I'm thinking about trying some different palm container wax and wanted some suggestions of other brands/distributors that you have had success with.

I heard of a type that is beaded as opposed to the flakes I have gotten from CS. Where can I find that stuff? :)

Thanks,

Bruce

Candlewic offers one that would be comparable to the CS Frost version that is little granules.

Strahl & Pitsch (sp??) offers one that is little beads or pellets, and it is also very similar to the CS frost type design. I don't know of any company that carries this line, you would have to go to their website and order directly from them.

ETA: the problems you experienced are problem common to all Palm, so not sure another company's product is going to help that much.

The larger than normal flames do seem more of a problem with Glass Glow than with other palm waxes I have used. GG is the only container palm I have tried, but pillar palm waxes do not behave the same way. I think a lot of the problems people have with palm wax is they have expectations from paraffin or soy about how they think it should behave and palm wax is simply a very different critter!

One of the most common mistakes I think folks make with palm wax is overwicking it. They think that because it burns differently (wanting to make a shell) that they need to wick up more, which increases the flames and the sooting. It is common for palm wax candles to not achieve a full melt pool until the second or third test burn. The wax burns down, then out.

Relief holes are something that has been necessary with every kind of palm wax I've used. It isn't a big deal to alleviate, to me, but others might find it a PITA...

Of the container palm I have tried I really think I prefer the frost to the GG. I really like the look of the wax in the jars and I find it might be a little easier to wick. Don't mess with palm that much because I don't really have a demand for it.

I've used the crystal palm from C&S and it burns and scents beautifully from candles I made that I tested. At one time I was thinking of switching to palm container candles so thats why I was testing it. I never did switch cause I didn't like the look of it in my jelly jars, my biggest sellers.

I have found in my testing with the GGLOW that I have really good burn results double wicking 3" plus diameter containers. I use CD wicks for the GGLOW.

I have tested single wicking smaller containers, but get better results with the above mentioned.