All coconut, superfat 20% soap?

Darbla

My first try didn't go so well, but after that one it was clear sailing. Could have been the FO I used, because it separated badly. I rebatched that first one one and tried again.

I'm now using a bar that I made months ago, and it is really nice.

I've only made one batch, and that was w/ SF of 15%. DH uses it, and says it doesn't dry his skin out now that the hot, humid weather is here (it was a bit drying when the weather was colder). I plan to make it again using 20% SF, and I'll try it then.

Plus it will be scented with something other than the Anise that he talked me into putting in that first batch :tongue2:

I did two batches, one with a 25% superfat and milk for part of the liquid. Even this made me itch like crazy. Higher percentages of coconut oil aggravate my skin terribly. Palm oil as well. Others have successfully soaped with it and had no issues. I think it depends on your skin type if you can tolerate CO at this level.

If you have sensitive skin, I'd recommend avoiding this ratio. ;)

I absolutley adore mine! I made one with a patch and orange blend that makes my skin feel so soft. I made another batch with orange and coconut that smells distinctly like lemon bundt cake suprise from BCN, only it smells a bit better! LOL That second batch is just about ready to use too.

Hmmmmm..... I wonder if the difference some of you experienced (non-drying vs. drying) would be due to cure time?

In my case~~it very well could have been! Along w/ the fact of using central heat in the colder weather. It's not a soap I personally would want to use all the time, though, no matter how long the cure.

Especially if it's scented w/ Anise (sorry, just had to throw that in lol) :wink2:

I love it, mine was made with a 15 or 20% superfat. I love coconut oil and prefer this soap over many. Coconut oil is what's used in all the suntan oils and most people use them with out any trouble. Wonder if putting the superfat oils in the start with all or if waiting till the end would make a difference in the harshness of the soap. I have read most put all oils in at the beginning I just never did. Always put in when FO went in. Don't know if that was the right way but I thought that is what my directions said way back when... I also CPHP every soap I have ever made.

100% Coconut oil makes a great salt bar too.

I love it, mine was made with a 15 or 20% superfat. I love coconut oil and prefer this soap over many. Coconut oil is what's used in all the suntan oils and most people use them with out any trouble. Wonder if putting the superfat oils in the start with all or if waiting till the end would make a difference in the harshness of the soap. I have read most put all oils in at the beginning I just never did. Always put in when FO went in. Don't know if that was the right way but I thought that is what my directions said way back when... I also CPHP every soap I have ever made.

100% Coconut oil makes a great salt bar too.

I'm confused. If you are making 100% coconut soap what superfat are you adding with your FO?

Also, tests have shown that fats added before the lye and fats added at trace, all saponify together. There aren't more of the later fats left over after the cure.

Hmmmmm..... I wonder if the difference some of you experienced (non-drying vs. drying) would be due to cure time?

I dunno....I let mine cure for about 5 weeks before I tried the first bar, then we tried again at 3 months. I think it's just a combo of my skin (persnickity at best!) and the fact that we live in the desert with no humidity.

I do want to try a 80% coconut/20% shea/20% superfat bar though....just to play.

Hugs,

Donna

I have tried one batch of 100% coconut and one batch with 95% coconut and 5% Castor with the 20% superfat. I used goats milk for most of my liquid in the second one its a seriously nice bar. I used it within days of making it cause I am impatient and had no problem with my sensitive/oily skin. I plan on experimenting with this more in future, especially with the bad press palm oil is experiencing.

I'm confused. If you are making 100% coconut soap what superfat are you adding with your FO?

Also, tests have shown that fats added before the lye and fats added at trace, all saponify together. There aren't more of the later fats left over after the cure.

Not sure about any testing.. But I add the extra oil 15% more than I would normally use and add it at trace. I also CPHP I thought the lye would only saponify so much oil/fats. If you add too much oil, the lye will not be able to saphonify it. Think I read one time that there is no telling which oils/fats lye will go after when doing it's thing so maybe that's why I always added shae after the trace. Now that I think about it I use to only make HP soap and that is cured when it comes to a thick trace. That might make a difference:undecided.