soy-beeswax-palm blend WICKING

Can anyone help with wicking this blend. 50%soy-25%bee 2%palm. I am using a 4" high container with a 3" diam.I am mostly using scents from peak as they say they do well in soy.I tried an eco 12 and after the melt pool cooled it was badly discolored and never did melt to the edge.I know I only tried 1 wick so far but I need a nudge in what direction I should try next.

Off the cuff, try a CDN 14

it was badly discolored

Gotta photo? Not sure what you mean by "discolored"... Did you use dye? If so what kind? Did you use FO or EO? If so, how much?

Is there a reason you made this blend... what soy did you use as the base?

A premixed blend from Wellington, eh? Hmmmm.... seems like this might be a customer support question for them... They should have a wicking recommendation for you and perhaps an explanation for the discoloring... although if you did not use their FOs

What specific FO did you use? Some FOs do discolor wax, such as vanillas, etc.

I think 25% BW is ALOT of BW. I don't know where you get your BW from, but that is an expense ingredient. I would think with that much BW you would need a pretty big wick. Also in my experience BW will hender your scent throw, so too much is not a good thing.

I have since decided against using this Wellington blend,although its a really great looking wax it is not for a newbie like myself-waaaay to hard to wick for me.I think I tried 6 or 7 and did 3-4 burns with each and still either get hang up or discoloration of the cooled melt pool so this one is NOT a keeper,I'll stick to parrafin but thanks for your answers anyway.:)

As I am finding, beeswax is a PITA to wick, my gosh. I find it burns ultra fast with a bigger wick and a touch of hang up and major tunnelling with a smaller wick. Can't win in a container wider than 2". It needs additives in a container.

felixandcharlie, I hope that you will try a different brand of soy-based wax before hanging it up. I agree with Abbiepql that 25% beeswax sounds like a lot. When I have used beeswax as an additive for container soys, I have stayed way down in the 2%-5% range...

Try EcoSoya or NatureWax - I think you will like the performance of those waxes much better. :)

Stella, maybe I will try those.As of right now I using igi4630 and I really like it and almost have the wicking down.I do think soy burns really nice though-do you think candle buyers prefer soy over parrafin?I always think all the soys I've tried have a sweet buttery smell before you add any FO.

do you think candle buyers prefer soy over parrafin?

Some do, others don't care and still others prefer paraffin. Just depends on the market and customer... It is (arguably) more of a PITA with which to work than other waxes, but to me, it's worth the effort. Others may disagree...:wink2: Many folks like the parasoy blends because they are reported to be less temperamental than straight soys.

I always think all the soys I've tried have a sweet buttery smell before you add any FO

To me, it doesn't smell "buttery," but all the soy-based waxes I have used DO have a scent... dunno how to describe it, though - white? :tongue2: However you define the odor, it certainly blends well with bakery and spice scents. I don't like it as much in some herbals and citrus - seems to "dull" the crispness - but cannot remember ever thinking that it was objectionable in any scent...