citronella buckets

Has anyone found inexpensive small buckets ( probably 24 oz or less) that are water tight that can be used for bug repellent candles? I only need a few and was hoping to find them at a craft store or somewhere like that. The one I found at Walmart leaked through the seam on the side. Thanks

Seems to me I got mine at Walmart or Dollar Tree. They did leak after first coat of Mod Podge and they needed 3 coats. FORGET THAT!!! ditched them after that and do the candle tins. Have the 16 ounce ones now and testing.So far so good except upping to 2 wicks and testing that one next.

Seamless candle tins for me. I think they sell 24 ounce ones also. I might go to the larger ones later but want to see if these will even sell at a higher price than my other candles. Going to need a sales pitch. All I ever sell are 8 ouncers.

I am hoping the fact they keep bugs away will help sales. Just do them in spring and summer. I use lemongrass.Prefer that over Citronella. Just cannot take that smell.

LynnS

That's the problem with those buckets, unless you can find seamless, they are more worry than they are worth. If all else fails, you can use terra cotta pots, the ones with no drainage hole. make sure they've been fired though. you can do this by flicking with your finger, if it rings you're good to go, if it thuds don't use. I was told by someone who makes pottery to check it that way :smiley2:

I have not had a problem using the buckets with the seam. You have to make sure you Mod Podge the seam really well. I usually do one thick coat. Then add a touchup if needed. Works great! (Of course you have to let it dry!)