What can I use instead of DPG to make simmering oils?

Brenda (OH)

Simmering oils are sooooo easy to make and are a great profit item !!! I searched another board and found the idea for the olive oil. The main objective is to raise the flash point of the oils. DPG is still my main cutting agent but glad I found that the olive oil will work too in an out of stock situation. :tongue2:

I thought I read somewhere on this board that olive oil has a tendency to smoke? I need to find that because I'm also interested in going to simmering oils in mini crockpots like this because I won't be able to afford wax any longer.

ETA: Ok, I searched and can't find a statement like that. So disregard. I don't want to mislead anybody.

I am in the process of researching this as well. What are the ratios? I know I read it somewhere but forget what they are. How much Olive Oil is added to 1 oz. of oil? I should run a search and see what I can find. I think I read somewhere that DPG had a negative but can't remember what it is -- lowering flash point? I would not like it to smoke though with Olive Oil. I need to start trying this out.

I ran the search and found some answers to my questions. I also found out what I thought I heard about DPG. It does not lower the flashpoint of the oil but DPG has a lower flash point than Olive Oil. I will give both a try and see what I like best.

I have searched a bit for oil burners. Does anyone have a favorite place to buy nice looking oil burners?

Has anyone ever tried vegetable cooking oil like maybe Wesson oil? Would it be safe to use? I have no idea what the flash point is. If it is safe to use, I also wonder what the shelf life would be before it would turn rancid smelling. I'm also thinking of making oils if it would be cheaper than buying tart wax. I don't have any DPG to try. Does the DPG evaporate? I really don't want to use anything that evaporates. One thing I like about tart wax is that you don't have to watch to make sure the bowl doesn't go 'dry'.

Is there anyone who can answer any, if not all, of my questions. I know many of you use the DPG so would know if it evaporates.

Am I on the Ignore list? (LOL)

It does not evaporate. Would love to find a different oil to use instead of

dpg. Maybe coconut oil cause it has a long shelf life. I know Jojoba oil has a long life too just need to find the best price. Soy oil?? at least it's from the US or maybe Corn Oil.

Thanks, ladies for the info.

Sharon, what is it about the DPG that makes you want to try something else? Does anyone know the best price for eastcoast DPG suppliers? I checked my kitchen pantry and found a store brand bottle of vegetable oil that had a rancid smell.....I very seldom fry foods (nor cook anything frequently that can't be microwaved), so don't remember how long it's been around.

I think I'll grab some Wesson vegetable oil from the supermarket and give it a try. Maybe a name brand is better quality that has a longer shelf-life......might take a while, though, to see if it turns rancid. In the meantime, I want to order some DPG.....good to know it doesn't evaporate. I don't want a customer forgetting it and letting the bowl 'dry up', possibly cracking the bowl, then blaming it on the warmer they bought from me. I've never sold the simmering oils but am definitely interested in giving this a try. I also haven't compared costs of making the oils instead of using wax, but oils will save a lot of labor and electricity (and labor is time and time is money I could be making, doing something else.)

TIA for best (price)....DPG supplier.

• 5 months later...

:bump:

Sorry I didn't see the question as to why I don't like DPG. I really don't know if I like it or not, I just don't know what it is. I don't mean the real name but what's it made made from. How about using Mineral Oil? That should never go bad. But can it be bought for less than DPG?

I picked up DPG, Olive oil and Soy oil from BC and honestly they are perform the same with a 50/50 ratio. They are pretty cheap I think the OO and Soy was 3 dollars a pound or something like that. Just a side note -When I test new scents now just to see if I like them first before I waste the wax, I use a piplet and add a few drops of fo and soy oil to the tart burner and try it out. If it passes, then I move on to the tarts and candles to test. It is fast, I just wipe out the dish and I weed out allot of oils that way rather than have hundreds of test tarts that end up getting trashed.

I wanted to try the coconut oil but that is a solid at room temp so that would not work for simmering oils unless it comes in a liquid too.

I ordered the DPG and used the same bottle of FO, same warmer, and same ratio as I do in my wax tarts, just to compare and see if the scent would last as long as it does in wax.......and it doesn't last as long. I can't figure out why, but it just doesn't. The FO just seems to last longer when you put it in wax.

I ordered the DPG and used the same bottle of FO, same warmer, and same ratio as I do in my wax tarts, just to compare and see if the scent would last as long as it does in wax.......and it doesn't last as long. I can't figure out why, but it just doesn't. The FO just seems to last longer when you put it in wax.

Very interesting. I need to do that with mineral oil and see if I can see/smell a difference. How much oil did you put in your warmer? If your tarts were 1oz then did you use the same amount of DPG in the warmer. I was thinking I would use less amount of oil but think I'll just start with the same.

In my testing, the burner oils are a huge smack in the face of fragrance for a few hours. Tarts aren't quite as strong, and last longer, but if you just want to get the whole area scented up in a short amount of time, without having anything burning too long - oils are the way to go.

The scent lingers in the air for a few hours for me, after the burner oil is killed off or blown out.

Very interesting. I need to do that with mineral oil and see if I can see/smell a difference. How much oil did you put in your warmer? If your tarts were 1oz then did you use the same amount of DPG in the warmer. I was thinking I would use less amount of oil but think I'll just start with the same.

Sharon, try using the same amount of FO per lb of oil, mineral oil, DPG or whatever you mix with, that you use per lb of wax and compare. That's the only way to truly compare the two. You can make up less than a lbs worth. I made up 1/4th lb oil and 1/4th the amt FO I normally use in 1 lb of wax. If you have to use more FO in the oil than in the wax, then you really aren't saving that much $$$ unless you charge more for the oils in comparison to your tarts. For those who've been selling tarts, this is an important test because your regular customers who are use to buying your tarts will also be comparing the two when they buy your oils, and they will be back buying the best quality/price of the two. You also have to factor in the cost of your bottles/labels.

You will save on labor, of course, and labor is time and time is money, unless you have plenty of time.

I don't have enough of either (LOL)

I've considered just selling the uncut refresher oils, but am hesitant to do so, because customers will just keep adding too much FO over and over to the same wax, or using them straight in their warmers, which is a bad idea. Also, when they find out they can buy FO's at Walmart or Michael's, etc. they might just start buying from them......or when they find out they can buy directly on-line, they will try that too until they figure out they are getting FO's they don't like and paying shipping also, for a scent they don't like (as we chandlers do quite freqently). While they are figuring this out, we are losing sales.

I'll have to try the mineral oil, also. Maybe the FO will last longer in it than the DPG. Most customers like a long-lasting scent they don't have to change every few hours.

BTW, I believe most chandlers use the glass bottles for their oils, but they cost more than the HDPE bottles like we get our FO samples in. Do you guys see anyone sellling in their own labeled

HDPE bottles? I know they don't look as professional and won't hold the scent as long, but most customers will use them up quickly anyway.....and we don't have to fill them up too far in advance (unless wholesaling and letting them sit under flourescent lights.) What are your opinions on selling in the HDPE bottles? One advantage is being able to sell FO bottles at a little lower price.

ETA: Does anyone know where to find inserts that will fit in the top of the 1 oz. HDPE bottles.....can't remember what they're called, but have seen those that fit some of the glass/amber bottles. These allow customers to shake a few drops at a time in their warmers. It would also prevent them from spilling as much everywhere when opening bottles to smell.

...... Just thinkin' ahead if I decide to sell the FO's.

Sharon, try using the same amount of FO per lb of oil, mineral oil, DPG or whatever you mix with, that you use per lb of wax and compare.

I know that but what I meant did you use 1 oz of scented oil in your warmer? Like my tarts weigh about 1.6 oz so I would put 1.6 oz of scented oil in the warmer to test. But I thought the oil was to be mixed 1/2 and 1/2? So if that's the case then you should be able to use less in your warmer.

But not sure I would want to mess with it if the just poured a bottle of oil in warmer then threw it away. It would have to be something to where they would use less by weigh and it would last just as long. To make it worth while?? My tarts sell retail from $1.50 to 1.95 and the bottles would have to sell for more cause bottles sure cost more than paper liners. But they would have to be better than a tart or at least as good. My time would be better and I would love that but would sales be as good? HUMMMM.

B&BW sells little bottles of oil for their warmers, I'll have to check price and size, they are strong and seem to last a long time. So maybe they are not cut or not cut by much. Do I have time to test all this now:confused: I'm not starting back to candle making till Mon, hell I'm on Vacation! But had the stomach flu for 4 figgin days and I didn't even get the pouring room cleaned yet. Plus have 2 wholesale and 3 retail orders to start on MONDAY, did I say I was on Vacation?

I have bottles, 1 oz, 4 oz, 8 and 16 oz. Don't even know how much they cost I've had them for so long. Might be a good way to use them. I'm going in their right now and if I can find a space to sit a bottle I'll make some then go up stairs and put in a warmer. HAHA I'm excited, maybe something will work for a change. I'll keep in touch but I must warn you most ideals don't work for me and I'm right back to pouring those tarts....

UPDATE?? just mixed 1 oz MO with .1 FO and it turned kinda thick? Strange plus it's separating. Then mixed 1oz FO and 1 oz MO it gelled too. Later...

Results after 48 hr is the 1 oz mineral oil and .1 FO can still be smelled in the roomicon14.gif. The other with 1/2 mineral oil and 1/2 FO is just ok cause I used a scent I never used, a citrus lime, can still smell it but it has never smell much so it was a good test for this scent.icon13.gif I'm going to dump it and try something I know throws great like Vanilla Rose from Jody's. Why is it when I'm making soap, lotion or anything for me I can never pick a scent?