Do You Use Cotton Seed Oil in CP?

beau's mama

Just wondering if any of you use/have used straight CSO in your soaps? It seems to be used more by chandlers than soapers.

My "I only use and eat organic products" nutty assed friend gave me an ounce...and I do mean exactly 1 ounce! "Organic products are very expensive!" is what she says. Whatever.

Anyway, I used it in a batch of lotion, and so far I'm liking the feeling. My skin feels really soft, smooth & moisturized. Almost like theres a fine layer of oil on it, but not shiny & not greasy.

I'm still doing some searching and reading...not much info on Organic CSO, just the regular, and I'm not quite sure about that yet.

Any input/info would be appreciated.

I use Cotton seed Oil in CP. The one I use is not "organic" though. It's just regular "winterized" Cotton seed. I've never used 100% cotton seed... but I have used up to 30% in a recipe with no problems. Makes a wonderful bar. :)

I have never used it because i thought it had DOS issues......But its so much cheaper than other oils that I normally use. I might have to try it out.

Supposedly it has high levels of vit e, so maybe that would help w/ DOS issues :undecided

http://www.cottonseedoiltour.com/cso-factsheet

I'm still reading up on it, but I think I may get a # to play with.

aaaand besides Crisco - where does one get cottonseed oil?

oh wait, was that the oil that was rife with pesticides? or am I remembering something totally wrong?

ETA: apparently you want to be sure you are getting food grade cottonseed oil and not waste oil from the production of guess what - cotton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottonseed_oil)

I use Cottonseed oil but I get it from the feed store and it is not organic. It is sold for frying. No problems with it. I would imagine that organic would be super expensive since growing cotton is one of the most pesticide dependent crops I have ever witnessed being grown.

I use Cottonseed oil but I get it from the feed store and it is not organic. It is sold for frying. No problems with it. I would imagine that organic would be super expensive since growing cotton is one of the most pesticide dependent crops I have ever witnessed being grown.

You know, it never occured to me to check the feed store. DUH!

I don't have to have organic. As stingy as my girlfriend was with hers LOL, it's probably way too expensive for my teeny tiny budget right now anyway.