GB GW444 VS. Calsoy CB3

Hi there! Looking for some feedback. Due to the fact that my local Calsoy CB3 supplier has gone out of business, I may need to change waxes. I can get the CB3 at Swans Washington, but with shipping it's pretty expensive (do you know of another West Coast supplier?). Calwax said they'd sell it to me directly but it's over three bucks a pound! So, I might have to switch to the GW444 as it's still obtainable at a do-able price (at least for the moment) and there's a supplier in a state fairly close to me. The big questions is, does anyone know how the two compare? Have you used both? I've spent three years getting to know the Calsoy CB3 so I'm REALLY BUMMED! :cry2: I hate the thought of starting over. Any insight you can provide will really help ease my troubled mind.

Tina

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tina,

I'm a regular Calsoy CB3 user that has also tested the GB444 a little bit.

However, it was a few years ago that I tried out the GB444, so the formula may have changed since then.

Hopefully someone that uses GB444 and really knows it well can chime in with their feedback.

I did not like the wax right away because it didn't have that creamy smoothness that the CB3 does. I had a lot of flaking and cracking on the top, and cracks throughout even pouring at 140 degrees into a room temp glass. The cold throw wasn't as powerful as the CB3 either, so I never bothered testing for the hot throw.

Have you tried the Ecosoya CB135? Of all the soy waxes I've tried, I think it's the closest I've ever found to Calsoy CB3. It's not quite as smooth, but still smoother than most and seems to have a great cold and hot throw with most FOs. It also tunnels a lot less than the Calsoy and is much easier to wick.

I know for sure that Peaks in Colorado sells it and it costs less than a case of the CalSoy before the shipping cost.

HTH!

Bo

Hi Tina,

However, it was a few years ago that I tried out the GB444, so the formula may have changed since then.

Hopefully someone that uses GB444 and really knows it well can chime in with their feedback.

I did not like the wax right away because it didn't have that creamy smoothness that the CB3 does. I had a lot of flaking and cracking on the top, and cracks throughout even pouring at 140 degrees into a room temp glass. The cold throw wasn't as powerful as the CB3 either, so I never bothered testing for the hot throw.

Have you tried the Ecosoya CB135? Of all the soy waxes I've tried, I think it's the closest I've ever found to Calsoy CB3. It's not quite as smooth, but still smoother than most and seems to have a great cold and hot throw with most FOs. It also tunnels a lot less than the Calsoy and is much easier to wick.

I know for sure that Peaks in Colorado sells it and it costs less than a case of the CalSoy before the shipping cost.

HTH!

Bo

Hi Bo,

Tina and I have been conversing. We both are in the same boat. I too have been a regular user of of CB-3 Soy (almost 4 years now) and I am forced to find another soy. The new price is $157.00 per case! This is nuts! There is no way no how I will pay for that. Calwax is going to lose all their little guys. I am so bummed and so disgusted. I keep telling myself that maybe this is meant to be and better things to come, but from the beginnings of testing I am very discouraged. I agree with you regarding the CB-3. Even with its quirks it is definitely one of the best soys out there for looks, cold throw and the hot throw. I am leaning towards the 444 but like you said the cold throw is not as good and the hot throw may not be either.....still testing on this. One oil was as good in it though. I believe I tried the 135 a long time ago, but don't remember exactly why I did not go with it. It may have been because of the hot throw not be quite as good. I do notice though that the 444 tends to burn better out than down than the CB-3. Like you said, the CB-3 and a lot of the Calwax wax tend to burn down than out. I could never get the CB-3 single wicked in single wicked jars. I only use if for my double wicked line. This is going to be a pain in the neck, but I need to find a replacement. I may give the 135 another try. Thanks for the post and keep us posted on what you decide too! :)

~Holly

ETA: Your handle name describes how I feel about testing for a another wax....."Burned Out". :tiptoe:

Hi Tina,

HTH!

Bo

with the GB 444 you need to pour at a lower temp. like the GB 415 HTH

When the 444 is poured at a low temp, the tops come out pretty good. Not as perfect as the CB-3, but better than a lot. I may try even lower next time and see what happens. The only thing I do notice though is the 444 is much rougher looking after a burn than the CB-3. CB-3 is still really smooth for a soy after a burn....not like a paraffin wax but it does not get real rough or cratery. The one thing I like better about the 444 is the meltpool is more definite than the CB-3. CB-3 burns down before out more than some of the other soys. So, to me, this is a good thing with the 444. I may find that the 444 does not leave as much soy slime (not actual "hang-up" but residue) on the sides as the CB-3. There is always going to be something with every wax I have found, so one just has to decide which downfall they can handle the most. In this case though, I am forced to find another wax. :( But, maybe in the end it will be a good thing. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi kids! Just checking in. Have been busy busy.

Yes, it just recently occurred to me that I am very set on having the candle retain a fairly smooth top after burning. The CB3 is great for that! I've seen other soys that look like cauliflower after they have been burned and I do not like it. So, the 444 is semi-rough after burning, what about the Ecosoya CB135? How does it look after a burn?

Thanks everybody for the GREAT info. Like Holly, I HATE to have to change waxes but knowing what to expect [from some of the other waxes] takes a little of the sting out.

T.

Hi kids! Just checking in. Have been busy busy.

Yes, it just recently occurred to me that I am very set on having the candle retain a fairly smooth top after burning. The CB3 is great for that! I've seen other soys that look like cauliflower after they have been burned and I do not like it. So, the 444 is semi-rough after burning, what about the Ecosoya CB135? How does it look after a burn?

Thanks everybody for the GREAT info. Like Holly, I HATE to have to change waxes but knowing what to expect [from some of the other waxes] takes a little of the sting out.

T.

Hey Tina,

Thanks for checking in. :) Have you tested the Enchanted Lites Regular (not the Mil.) soy yet? The tops are very smooth when new and they are better than the 444 after a burn, but not quite as smooth as the CB-3. I am still trying to determine scent throw vs. the 444 and my current soy, CB-3. I am going to be running tests on all my oils so I can determine which one gives the best throw with the most oils. I sure hope that the one that wins for scent throw will match up to the CB-3. If not, I bet my customers will notice. What a pain in the neck! I will keep you posted.

~Holly

I can't compare the CB-3 with 444, but like many of you, I was really unhappy with the cracked and/or rough tops. I also had alot of problems with frosting and the scent throw wasn't up to par. I still have over half a case in storage that I keep meaning to pull for "personal" use, just need to find a scent that my husband can tolerate that also throws ok.

:laugh2:

]

I can't compare the CB-3 with 444, but like many of you, I was really unhappy with the cracked and/or rough tops. I also had alot of problems with frosting and the scent throw wasn't up to par. I still have over half a case in storage that I keep meaning to pull for "personal" use, just need to find a scent that my husband can tolerate that also throws ok.

:laugh2:

Hi Spa. Just to clarify, are you talking about the 444 being rough/cracked/frosting/poor scent throw?

Well that's good to know!! Thanks!

I don't get the cracking with the 444 and I don't have to worry about frost because I go colorless. I do get rough tops though with the 444 after a burn though. CB-3 does not get real rough after a burn. I have not tested the 444 enough to determine throw for sure but I know one thing for sure, it did not wow me and does not match up to the CB-3. I am sooooo bummed and irritated. I really dislike having to make a change but there is NO choice. So far, 444 is not a go for me. Either is the 464. Regarding frost with the 444, I do know that it does not frost half as bad as the CB-3 did when I had color in the beginning. I know this because I was testing the 444 for our chocolate line and dark brown is one of the worst colors for frosting. I hardly got any frost when it was new, but when it burn I did get a very definite frost ring and I believe some on top as well. If you have the right look and jar the frost is not bad but the look I need for the chocolate line does not do well with frost. So, I have to continue to find a wax for this line as well and it won't be soy....will have to be a blend of some kind.

Hopefully, we will find something, Tina!

Why dont you guys try the new ACCU soy waxes? Since the same formulator now works for ACCU, I am sure they will have the wax that is the closest to Calsoy.

Hi Carrie,

I have tried the Accu Soy 10, but to me the cold throw is not all that great (would need to test if further to know for sure), and it kinda stinks like some kind of oil...maybe like an olive oil smell. I can actually smell it through some fragrances. I am trying another Accu blend right now for my soy line and do use another one for another line already as well. We will see.

I know that you did change from CB-3 to the Cargill C-3. I think you did mentioned that you need to let it cure for a really good throw. I tried it a long time ago when I first looked into soy but did not try it long enough to know...decided on the CB-3. I have heard many on hear say though that the C-3 does need a cure time. I am not sure if I have the patience for that since right now I mainly pour to order. Thanks for the post!

~Holly

• 2 weeks later...

i noticed that too with accusoy 10 the cold throw was poor but the hot throw was good. i also smelled some sort of popcorn oil smell that over powers the fragrance. it was pretty the way it burned though sort of more transulcent.

If you can get 444 can you get 464 locally? I had to use 444 in a pinch and didn't lilke it at all. I do' date=' however, love 464. Takes a little tweaking to get it perfect, but once you do you won't be dissaspointed. Try it.[/quote']

Thanks for the post. I can't get either one of them (444 or 464) close by anymore. They would have to drop ship to me from the GB. I could get either one of them from Peaks, but I decided against the 444. Scent throw was not good enough for me. I actually liked the 444 better than the 464 -- 444 holds the oil better and did not seep with the heavy oils. I am going with a whole other soy and possibly my own blend. I will hopefully get through this change. :)

I started with the C-3 then went to the CB3-(the best wax i have tried yet), then went back to the c-3 cause i could pick up locally. Well now that the C-3 jumpped so high in pricing, I switched to the ACCU 10, since I can get it cheaper shipped than driving to pick up the c-3.

So far, its not as great as the C waxes, but I am going to work with it for a while. My first case, I ended up blending it with the left overs I had of the C-3, so this second case, I am actually getting true test time. :cool2:

Hi Carrie,

I have tried the Accu Soy 10, but to me the cold throw is not all that great (would need to test if further to know for sure), and it kinda stinks like some kind of oil...maybe like an olive oil smell. I can actually smell it through some fragrances. I am trying another Accu blend right now for my soy line and do use another one for another line already as well. We will see.

I know that you did change from CB-3 to the Cargill C-3. I think you did mentioned that you need to let it cure for a really good throw. I tried it a long time ago when I first looked into soy but did not try it long enough to know...decided on the CB-3. I have heard many on hear say though that the C-3 does need a cure time. I am not sure if I have the patience for that since right now I mainly pour to order. Thanks for the post!

~Holly

I started with the C-3 then went to the CB3-(the best wax i have tried yet), then went back to the c-3 cause i could pick up locally. Well now that the C-3 jumpped so high in pricing, I switched to the ACCU 10, since I can get it cheaper shipped than driving to pick up the c-3.

So far, its not as great as the C waxes, but I am going to work with it for a while. My first case, I ended up blending it with the left overs I had of the C-3, so this second case, I am actually getting true test time. :cool2:

Gee, it is the pits that we all are having to go through this. It is hard enough to have to find the right wax and get it right and then have to start all over again. Only way to look at it is....we are more experiencd this time around. :wink2: Yes, I remember when you encourged me regarding CB-3 when I was not happy with the paraffin blends in the beginning. Great choice! But, now I can't use it anymore after almost 4 years. :cry2:

It looks like the Accu waxes are holding on to pretty good prices. Maybe they will be smart and not go up too high to where they lose business and we lose wax. Hopefully, they can find a happy medium. I really do think that the guy that formulated the Calwax and now the Accu (I assume I am right on this) has talent. Good luck with the Accu 10 Soy. I liked it except for the slight smell and the cold throw (cold throw was not too bad).

Thanks for the response.