Sugar questions?

Of course with any kind of sugar as soon as water hits the scrub the sugar will begin to disintegrate. That's just the nature of the beast. Perhaps that's why you don't think it's scrubby enough? On the other hand, if you use turbinado sugar it will be a bit scrubbier as the granules are much larger. It's just a matter of personal preference which type of sugar you use. I like the white table sugar because it DOES begin to dissolve right away. There's just enough scrub and they last just long enough to do the job and leave the wonderful oils behind on my skin. HTH. ;)

I'm really new to making scrubs, but I know what I like in a scrub and so far in the sugar scrubs I like the Turbinado sugar the best as it is the scrubbiest! It's available right in the grocery store sometimes labeled as raw sugar. It is much rougher than table sugar so be careful how much pressure you use with it.

I use both white sugar and turbinado sugar, with the majority being white sugar. I don't usually measure my sugar... I just pour, stir, pour, stir, pour, stir.... until I get it the right consistency and scrubbiness that I want. I usually let it sit, then check the scrubbiness after a few hours. If I find I need more, I usually add a bit more sugar, or I'll add jojoba beads, apricot kernel meal, strawberry seeds, etc.

I've been buying the Parade Brand (no name/store brand) of white sugar at our local supermarket (it's been on sale!!) and I find that the sugar crystals are more bigger. They're not as fine as the other sugar I usually buy (Walmart Brand). It gives a way better scrubby feel.

So I'm sticking with my no-name brand sugar for my scrubs from now on. :)

Another thing, about "melting" sugars in scrubs... I find if I use Shealoe in my scrubs (either a straight Shealoe scrub or even using a tiny amount in my recipe) the sugars melt alot. It takes alot more sugar to use to get it past the point saturation to FINALLY stay put in your scrub, KWIM? (probably because of the Aloe Juice maybe?)

Thank you for mentioning that about the shealoe! I use shealoe in my scrub and have noticed that I have to keep adding much more than I did before I started using it. I use a combo of white and turbinado, too.