Have you had any FOs "Blossom" in Hot Wax ?

Judy, USMC

I'll admit I'm one of those that judges on an OOB sniff :embarasse and have tossed many into the "To Be Tested" pile. You know ~ the aroma just doesn't smell that strong or pleasant. I've decided that this coming weekend I'll get into that pile to see if there are any pleasant suprises.

Wondering how many decide to go for it anyway - and the minute it hits the melted wax it makes you stand back & smile?

Yes, we have had a few that changed from "hohum" OOB to "all righty then" in wax. I WILL say that it hasn't happened often - just enough to make it worth my while to go back and check some that were unimpressive. I have not, however, had one I thought smelled awful OOB suddenly become my new fave...:undecided

When I first started, I purchased a lot of samples from various companies. I got a sample of Passionfruit from Lonestar. I was planning on pouring several testers, so I decided I would pour the Passionfruit first, because it stunk in the bottle and I figured the others scents would cover it once poured. Well, as soon as the oil hit the wax the scent changed drastically. It smelled great.

Looking back, I wouldn't say it "blossomed", I would say it was a complete metamorphosis. :D

As a rule, OOB you only get a whiff of the top note and maybe a middle note or two. It's not until you get the fo into product that you get the full composition. I've learned to "just pour it" and see what happens. I have a book with a great tutorial on perfumery and it explains the 'notes' of a fragrance blend nicely.

Oh, yes, indeedy! That was one of the first lessons I learned when I started making candles--never judge an FO OOB. And it kinda took me aback. that there could be such a drastic difference. There has only been one FO that I hated OOB and hated in the wax but I've been pleasantly surprised by many others once they hit the hot wax.