Odd Email??

Hi all.

I received this email this morning and thought I'd get your opinions. It's very weird:

I lit 2 candles (each $1) on 4/30/08 9 am on top a refrig

cooler, both burned some hours until they burned through their clay pot;

the metal container did not burn through, but when other one turned to

flame and burned down through cooler for "garbage can fire", it added to

fire. My building is SMOKE DAMAGED completely. I am currently cleaning up

outside, cleaning walls. Ins covered bldg, not things, so I am stuck doing

it all at age 70. I love the odours involved, but I will never light a

candle again inside. How do you contain these great smelling candles? to

be ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION, SAFE? Sincerely, Frankie, a grandma

Okay, first of all, my candles are more than $1 :D and she never specifically says they're my candles. 2nd of all, I don't sell clay pots and never have. I do sell tins, but what in heavens is she talking about? It burned through the cooler to a garbage can fire? WHAT? Maybe I just haven't had enough caffeine yet, but I'm fairly confused at what in the world she's wanting. Is she just wanting to know how I make sure mine are safe? Any opinions? Thanks.

It sounds like she's saying, hey, I burned these other candles and had problems, what kind of container do you use to make sure they're absolutely safe? I'm not sure how to respond, or if I'd respond. My first thought is that nothing is absolutely beyond question safe. We test, we use the best containers we can, we put warning labels on our candles, but nothing is guaranteed. Second, if she's never lighting a candle inside again, why is she wanting to know? Yeah, that's weird.

I would be a pain in the ass at this point. I would give her a list of safe burning instruction. I would number them in big bold letters.

1. Never leave a candle.....
  2. Always burn on a heat resistant .....
  3. Trim wick...
  4. never burn more than .....
  5. ect....
  6. never buy cheap dollar store candles
  7. never buy candles on sale at walmart

I would make it a big list.

Then at the end say if you follow these instruction you should never have a problem. But not following these instruction could cause damage and it up to her to make sure she follows the instructions.

Now that I am done being a pain. :D

Now honestly I would respond that you have fully test your candle but she must remember candles are inherently risky item when the instructions are not followed and she should follow all the instruction on the warning label. I would make a small list for her just basic safety tips on burning candles safely.

I wouldn't respond. I'm sure there are plenty of other people around her that can help her out, plus she obviously knows how to use a computer, so she can find answers on her own.

And then, this may be a fluke email.

Plus they obviously aren't your candles.

Plus by answering you could open yourself up to a bunch of email crap and gawd only knows what else would be next.

Maybe someone fishing for candle making info

The list is endless....

No response IMO.

Carrie

Maybe she got something from the Dollar Store. Most of the time I see glass but who knows where some people get their candles and what they get.I have a friend whose husband buys candles and tarts at a major candle manufacturer and all I hear from her is complaining about the tarts and candles.I get so sick of listening to her.Of course I will tell her off one day. Won't be long. If I say I have to get a order out she HUMS. I feel jealously with her.She did say she wanted to do crafts but her husband won't let her. Won't give her any money to get started. So she can buy those crappy candles with that $1,000,000 plus candle company.Oh and they only have about 20 scents to choose from.Not a big selection.She said some customers have said in front of her the place is not what they thought it was. Still she and her husband buy them. I'M glad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I would give her the safety of burning candles and tell her you do test but people must follow safety rules or anything could happen.Now for what happend to her she sure seems to beef it up some or MAYBE it did happen.Candles in a clay pot way up on a refrigerator cooler. Not to safe.How could she see the candles and how it was burning DA.Once in awhile my flame gets high and I watch that. Come on now on top of a refrig cooler.Strange place and I wonder if that is for real??? Clay pot??Some do have holes in the bottom of them. Not all but some. I am not sure I have seen candles made in clay pots but have seen them in tin buckets and you do have to decoupage those to keep from leaking.

Yes A Strange e-mail.

LynnS

Whenever you get emails with really bad grammar.. you should immediately think scam. My concern would be that by responding to this email, they can pull information like IP address etc and use it in more nefarious ways.

If she's never burning a candle again as she says in her letter, why bother writing a letter asking somone how to burn them safely?

There's no such thing as "ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION, SAFE." Sounds like she's asking for a legal definition, and I wouldn't reply.

The date is one thing that is confusing me, the other is if she is cleaning up a mess from a candle and sending you an e-mail she should be calling her insurance company. Like Sockmonkey said there is no such thing as "ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION, SAFE"

I'm fairly confused at what in the world she's wanting.

I couldn't really understand what she was saying either. For this reason, if I had gotten this email, I wouldn't have responded. Especially since these are obviously not my candles (or yours either).

Also sounds like when the candles were made the clay pots weren't sealed.... can't the wax seep through the porous clay? And then light the pot up, too?

But yeah, don't respond. Not your candle. Not your worry. She'll just hit up someone else if you don't respond.

Whenever you get emails with really bad grammar.. you should immediately think scam. My concern would be that by responding to this email, they can pull information like IP address etc and use it in more nefarious ways.

That's exactly what I thought. You need to delete that email ASAP. It's coming from another country and they will take your info and run with it.

Some fruitcakes out there--I had a lady email me that she wanted to buy one of my candles and that she had bought from me before--I was more than willing to oblige. It was a scent I don't carry so I told her it wasn't my candle. I asked where she had gotten it from and let her know that I don't sell there.

She emailed me back and she was furious. I was kind of funny now I think about it. She told me what store she bought it from and then went on to accuse me of lying to her telling me I didn't want to sell and it went on and on. She must have been very paranoid. She was telling me how nasty I was because I was trying to keep my candles from her and that she really liked them, etc. etc. I have never even been near where she says she bought it from and there just was no chance it was mine. I quit responding pronto to her as well.

It would take a WHOLE lot of self-control, but I would hit delete asap. Everything in me would want to address this idiot & call them out, but I think that's called 'taking the bait.'

Although, if I were to respond:

Dear Phantom Burner --

Nothing in your correspondence indicates we have ever met, nor that you have ever purchased one of my candles. This begs me to question: Why on earth are you writing to me? What problem am I expected to solve? What is a refrig cooler ... & how does it lead to a garbage can fire? Actually, what the hell is a garbage can fire? Why are you cleaning up outside? How do you know my candles smell great, yet you don't know how I contain them? What is your motive? What is the name of your Insurance Agent? And, oh yeah ... who the hell are you?

In America we don't buy the extra vowels, so I can't really help with your love of odours. I've never sent any of my candles across the pond, so I know your issue isn't with me. You say you'll never light another candle ... so, again, I find myself quite confused by our conversation.

You ask me to share my secrets for a candle that's "ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION, SAFE." Let's face it, Granny, as long as there is one single person on this earth who shares your DNA, this probably isn't possible. Since you possess the minimal skills of effective communication, I have to make the sweeping assumption that you also have little ability to comprehend the written word. Please note, that would include our intriguing correspondence AND the instructions for proper burning techniques included with all reputable candles priced over one dollar. If you don't have enough common sense to burn a candle properly or take responsibility for your own actions, then you really need 24-hour supervision to prevent you from lighting the pretty flame. I hate to be the harsh bearer of reality, but since you sought me out ... you're an idiot. Unfortunately, there's nothing anyone can do to make the world a safer place when people like you exist without the basic skills of functional intelligence.

P.S. -- Good luck with that new insurance policy.

It would take a WHOLE lot of self-control, but I would hit delete asap. Everything in me would want to address this idiot & call them out, but I think that's called 'taking the bait.'

Dear Phantom Burner --

Nothing in your correspondence indicates we have ever met, nor that you have ever purchased one of my candles. This begs me to question: Why on earth are you writing to me? What problem am I expected to solve? What is a refrig cooler ... & how does it lead to a garbage can fire? Actually, what the hell is a garbage can fire? Why are you cleaning up outside? How do you know my candles smell great, yet you don't know how I contain them? What is your motive? What is the name of your Insurance Agent? And, oh yeah ... who the hell are you?

In America we don't buy the extra vowels, so I can't really help with your love of odours. I've never sent any of my candles across the pond, so I know your issue isn't with me. You say you'll never light another candle ... so, again, I find myself quite confused by our conversation.

You ask me to share my secrets for a candle that's "ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION, SAFE." Let's face it, Granny, as long as there is one single person on this earth who shares your DNA, this probably isn't possible. Since you possess the minimal skills of effective communication, I have to make the sweeping assumption that you also have little ability to comprehend the written word. Please note, that would include our intriguing correspondence AND the instructions for proper burning techniques included with all reputable candles priced over one dollar. If you don't have enough common sense to burn a candle properly or take responsibility for your own actions, then you really need 24-hour supervision to prevent you from lighting the pretty flame. I hate to be the harsh bearer of reality, but since you sought me out ... you're an idiot. Unfortunately, there's nothing anyone can do to make the world a safer place when people like you exist without the basic skills of functional intelligence.

ROFLMAO:laugh2: :laugh2: Too funny!!

You ask me to share my secrets for a candle that's "ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT QUESTION, SAFE." Let's face it, Granny, as long as there is one single person on this earth who shares your DNA, this probably isn't possible.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Granny....Hmmmmm..... Hey, maybe she's related to Stella Liebeck (the lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee on herself and was scalded) after whom The Stella Awards were named!

I agree that there's something waaaay wrong with the email and not replying is a real good idea. If she's serious, you'll hear from her again... Who knows - might be one of your local competitors rattling your cage! :wink2:

Unfortunately, there's nothing anyone can do to make the world a safer place when people like you exist without the basic skills of functional intelligence.

STILL snickering...:tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:

Dear Phantom Burner --

Classic! lmao

That was too good.

Granny....Hmmmmm..... Hey, maybe she's related to Stella Liebeck (the lady who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee on herself and was scalded) after whom The Stella Awards were named!

:tongue2::tongue2::tongue2:

A bit of a hijack here. Do you know the rest of the story about Mrs. Liebeck? Probably not. Well, it would seem that McDonald's had been warned repeatedly to reduce the scalding hot temperature of their coffee. Somewhere around 700 claims had been filed for similar incidents, and many were settled by McDonalds. Their own documents showed that McDonald's was aware of the burn hazard when foods are served at temperatures in excess of 140 degrees but failed to warn its customers. So when Mrs. Liebeck was burned by their extremely, and I do mean extremely--as in 185-190 degrees--hot coffee, the court said ENOUGH and the suit went forward, she won, and the rest is history. I do not consider this a laughing matter AT ALL.

Do you know the rest of the story about Mrs. Liebeck? Probably not. Well, it would seem that McDonald's had been warned repeatedly to reduce the scalding hot temperature of their coffee. Somewhere around 700 claims had been filed for similar incidents, and many were settled by McDonalds. Their own documents showed that McDonald's was aware of the burn hazard when foods are served at temperatures in excess of 140 degrees but failed to warn its customers. So when Mrs. Liebeck was burned by their extremely, and I do mean extremely--as in 185-190 degrees--hot coffee, the court said ENOUGH and the suit went forward, she won, and the rest is history. I do not consider this a laughing matter AT ALL
Pardon the continued hijack...

Queenie, as a matter of fact, I DO know the entire accurate story, which is available from the link I included above (did you read it?) and also includes a LOT of information that you omitted above.

As the site states, the jury indicated that Ms. Liebeck herself was held 20% responsible for her injury for holding the cup between her knees to add cream and sugar AND that even though the 700 other cases which occurred over a 10 year period existed at the time, that's ONE injury per every 24 MILLION cups of coffee sold! What happened in Ms. Liebeck's situation that DIDN'T happen in the other 23,999,999 cases which did NOT result in injury? I would further remind you that the "extremely" hot coffee to which you refer was held between 180°-190°F (which will result in 3rd degree burns to human skin within 2-7 seconds, depending on the thickness of the skin) was compliant with the recommendations of the National Coffee Association which recommends brewing between 195-205°F and, if not drunk immediately, to be held at 180-185°F.

The court did NOT say "ENOUGH," as you stated; in fact, the judge later REDUCED the punitive award of 2.7 million to $480,000 - a fraction of what the sympathetic jury originally awarded as punitive damages.

Personally, I would not have been as sympathetic as that particular jury was, despite my affinity for old ladies, because HOLDING HOT LIQUIDS OVER YOUR BODY IS STUPID at best (way more than 20% responsibility for injury, IMHO). It is up in the air as to whether McDonald's actually exhibited "willful, wanton, reckless or malicious conduct" which is the New Mexico standard for awarding punitive damages, or whether, upon appeal, this case would have been thrown out of court.

Liebeck and McDonald's settled out of court for an undisclosed amount, so no appeal was filed. This is a good example of how trying legal cases in the court of popular opinion can and does affect the outcome of legal cases, which is highly inappropriate.

So, if you are gonna take me to task for poking sarcastic fun at this situation, BE ACCURATE in what you tell about it and realize that, however painful and serious the injury was for the woman involved, Stella Liebeck HAS become a national icon for frivolous, outrageous lawsuits demonstrating the NEED for tort reform in this country, despite the facts of her case or any opinions people may have of it.

If YOU became the target for a frivolous lawsuit because someone burned themselves with one of your candles because THEY did something incredibly stupid, I wonder if you would feel the same about that...:wink2:

What's the temp of YOUR coffeemaker and do YOU have a sign over it warning users that they could be scalded by its contents?

Consumer stupidity in all forms is not "funny" because it involves injury and harm; however, I don't see from my post above where I was laughing about Ms. Liebeck's burns, skin grafts or the pain she suffered even if she was stupid to have done what she did that caused her own injury. I laughed at the words I quoted from TXSouix's imaginary letter to the woman who wrote an email to the OP.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding about my mention of Stella Liebeck and The Stella Awards or that I was allegedly "laughing" at an old lady's pain and suffering by implication.

I personally am fully aware that hot coffee is just that - hot. And it would never occur to me to clench a flimsy styrofoam cup of the stuff between my chubby thighs. Apparently 23,999,999 other consumers were at least as bright as I am.

If your local diner serves you coffee with a spoon in it, are you going to sue them when you leave it in the cup and it sticks you in the eye when you take a sip?

NO it's not funny that she got hurt. Stella certainly never said it was. But the lawsuit and the initial (thankfully remedied) outcome was absurd. People need to take some responsibility for their own actions.

The original post is good evidence that some people have no interest in doing that.

OK.. I think the winner of the law suits is.......

The woman who is currently suing Victoria Secrets for permanent eye damage from a thong!!! :laugh2:

While Trying it on, a metal jewel popped up and hit her in the eye and she says she has permanent damage to her cornea...!!!!! :eek:

(Full story in OT)