requirements to sell bath and body

ajna

It depends on the State you live in. I know Florida has some serious rules and regs concerning B&B but here in CO not to much. Here the Health department can come and inspect if they chose but that usually only happens if a complaint is lodged. I wish they had stricter rules here I have seen way to many scary products here to be comfortable about buying from anyone but trusted friends that make B&B.

I do not do B&B but as member of this board, I have absorb a lot of info about preservatives and such to make me uncomfortable buying from just anyone. I want to know that they know what they are doing. LOL

Varies city to city, county to county, state to state and country to country. Every place is different from the other.

ETA: Each sector has their own set of rules, sometimes they overlap, sometimes none at all and others, you have to submit each formula. City rules, county rules (especially in disposal it seems), state regulations and then countries - I know the European side has it tougher than we do.

Florida and California the most strict AFAIS, other states like Montana and the Dakota's are barely regulated.

I do not do B&B but as member of this board, I have absorb a lot of info about preservatives and such to make me uncomfortable buying from just anyone. I want to know that they know what they are doing. LOL

Vicky... do not do B&B either.. My insurance agent said to me getting the proper B&B insurance would be costly and proper testing from an outside firm would be required by the insurance company..

I am very cautious when buying any soaps, sprays, lotions, from just anyone.

The fear of putting soap or lotion on my face that I bought from just anyone, scares the crap out of me..

Who knows what they mixed in it..

Who knows if that person has insurance or even tested their product..

I always wondered how customers just buy soap from any unknown vendor at shows.. :undecided

It really amazes me that people would take a chance with their skin because something smells good.. JMO

Vicky, is the OP in the US? Maybe you can tell as a mod but I can't tell where this person is located.

I have no idea.

You are right it can vary from country to country also I am only aware about these rules and regs from stumbling across stuff since I do not do B&B I have never fully researched it.

thanks. How about melt and pour soaps where you only add dye and scent? or ready to use lotion, body wash and body spray where you only add scent?

Lotion is lotion regardless of homemade, store bought or base. The same rules apply.

Without knowing where you live no one will be able to answer your question. The rules are different by county, state and country. KWIM!

I think you are rushing things a bit here. Not to sound mean, but you've been up and down all over the board about all sorts of things. This is something you will need to research yourself - it's too different area to area to even begin to give you a good idea. Google is your friend in this type of situation.

I know how hard it is to want to sell everything FAST!!! But even melt and pour needs to be tested. There's a TON of money involved in starting as a business, because you need insurance that covers all products, you need home insurance that covers if you goof, you need to register your business, a DBA if needed, tax ID, etc.