Need help pricing Teddy Bear chair

coconut

My brother makes these great little rocking chairs out of high quality materials such as Oak or Cherry. He would like to sell them but is not sure where to price them. Cost of materials is 80-100 dollars, and it takes about a week to make one. He won First Prize at the County Fair in his area for his chairs. The chair is ideal for a child or to display collectible dolls. The teddy bear is cut out of the back and the arms are bear paws. The rockers are laminated wood for strength. Very cute. What do you think? What would someone pay for such a nice chair? Thank you for all input. Regards, Coconut

post-6400-139458447669_thumb.jpg

post-6400-139458447671_thumb.jpg

post-6400-139458447674_thumb.jpg

post-6400-139458447676_thumb.jpg

post-6400-139458447677_thumb.jpg

wow, with that much time and materials invested I really don't see how he could sell them at all ~ would probably just be a gift item. Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but I'm just basing that on what *I* would buy and what would be the norm for my area :undecided

I would love to have that kind of talent though, he did beautiful work!!

Those are adorable. I agree with Soapmom, it is hard for a crafter to get their cost of materials and labor in crafts. Sometimes you just have to go with covering your cost and a bit more for you time but never your full hours. I don't knit things to sell very often b/c I could never get paid for all my hours that it took to knit a purse and then the cost of wool yarn. He could try to shoot for $150.00, it doesn't hurt but me personally I would never buy something at that price. Now, if he were to get in good with somewhere like Hollywood at a baby boutique then he would have no prob selling them there, but that would be hard to do.

Thank you, everyone, for your input and honest opinions. My brother has also felt he probably could not sell them high enough to justify his time and effort. If anyone has any suggestions for other wooden items that might sell and not be so expensive to make, please feel free to post! Again, thank you all for your time!

I would definitely try different wood, to lower the cost. That is very adorable chair. Also try going to furniture stores that carries oak or good quality wood furniture store and see if they'll carry it or buy it wholesale or something.

But try different wood that is not to costly. Check out lumber yard, sometime

they have scrap wood in bin where it's cheap and I'm pretty sure he can improvise with it to add to the chair.

Best Wishes. Tell Brother not to give up, he does great work there. Great Talent and most of all PATIENCE. LOL Just make change of plan on wood and it'll be well sold.

I have been to many craft fairs and there's always parents buying nice chairs for kids that's around $50.00 to $75.00 tops.

Keep us updated on what he does to ok

Meg

I can tell you this.....I got some wood sleds from a guy using the same materials liek yours are, now the back were hand curved and very sturdy and usable. he sold them to me for $40 cause he got the wood free, but took him a long time to make them, otherwise he would ahve to charge $80 I sold them for $95 with no problem, but no way could I have gotten more in my store, but defeinately higher end stores! Now don't include drying time in your work, cause that will add more costs to your item. Now, at the right place, these could easily sell for $195. Maybe try marketing them to a higher end indpependant kids store on consignment!

Thank you everyone, for you thoughts, experiences, and suggestions. So far we have two votes for around $200.00 (one here at work). The high end customers just might pay it, if he can get the chairs in front of the right people. Also, we both liked the idea of a "time out" chair (we came from the generation where contact with wood meant the paddle). I suggested taking off the rockers and giving the teddy a frown. My brother liked this because a large part of time and material is in the rocker part. I will try to keep y'all posted on what happens. Cheers!

BEAUTIFUL Chairs!! My hubby & Father In Law is also woodworkers & you just have to have the right buyers....Lots of time into making the perfect, straight, level piece - everything has to be 'measured' to precise! I understand that but, it does get irritating(to me) - if I want to hang a pic I just do it - but when hubby does it he has to use a tape measure & all.....

Don't sell these chairs for anything less then you have in them thats for sure - you get the right buyers they KNOW how much work has been put into them - they'll pay!!

You could always try craft shows too - go to www.craftlister.com & see if there is any listed that he could attend.....its worth a try, especially around the Xmas season - people are 'always' looking for that PERFECT Gift!

Good Luck to him, (I just showed my hubby & he's drooling)LOL

~Carlena~

www.carlenascreations.com