Is melt and pour a detergent?

brown5052

Most soaps in the store are detergent bars, some aren't. One that comes to mind is Ivory.

MP is often detergents and not "true" soap. But I believe there are some that do not have detergents in them.

I only do CP so I'm not entirely familiar with MP. At my market last year there was a gal who sold MP and she had a huge following even though her bars were syndet, but then there were just as many that didn't like it and wanted my soaps. To each his own.

That's what I thought, though I didn't realize that Ivory was a soap, just knew that it floated. I'm hoping to add soap products to my candle line, but unsure as to what I want! I make my first soap last week. I made three different batches using the same ingredients but made the soap different ways, so that I could see how each technique looked. One batch was made with goats milk instead of water using CP method (turned out soft), one with water using CP method (looks good), and one with water using the HP method (what a mess). Now I'm hand milling small samples of each and see how that turns out. But until I get it right, I'm thinking about using a melt and pour but I'm not sure. And OMG you are soooo close to me, I could just spit and hit ya! I'm over here in Port Angeles!

There are a (very) few true soaps sold commercially - most are a blend of soap and detergent.

There are indeed MP soaps that do not contain detergents.

Just out of curiosity, why are you handmilling them? You didn't like the way they looked?

And please don't spit on our members. We don't like that ;)

I'm hand milling the soap just to see how it would look and what it would do. I'm in the testing stage of things and i do like to expriement that way I've seen how it works. Some of the soap I will let fully cure and not hand mill. I hand milled some of the goats milk soap and liked how it looked, just waiting for it to dry. I used 8 oz soap and 6 oz distilled water. It seemed to be very wet though so I'm going to try again using a different amount of water. The HP soap I hand milled is just a big mess, it totally defines the word ugly! I'll try again. I know this will be a long process before any of it's good enough to sell. I've done a lot of research and now it's time to wet my feet and get some soap on them! I've been wanting to do this for a while and I had soooo much fun making my soap. thanks you all for your info! I was just a little confused about what the melt and pour soaps where. How would you know if the melt and pour is a soap and not a detergent. Does the supplier tell you or can you tell by the ingredients?

oh goodness yes 8 oz of soap + 6 oz liquid would be very wet. on new soap (not cured) a tablespoon (1/2 oz) per POUND of soap would be MY max (tho I'm not good at it). Fully cured I might go a bit higher. It's a bit of a balancing act, but at the level you used you will likely get soap snot.

Also I myself have found that using milk works better than water, tho I couldn't tell you why.

How you tell about your MP soap is to look at the ingredient list.

Carebear, what am I looking for in the ingredients for M&P? Is this a detergent bar?

INCI Ingredients: Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Titanium Dioxide.

Thks, Carole

Carebear, what am I looking for in the ingredients for M&P? Is this a detergent bar?

INCI Ingredients: Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Sodium Laurate, Sodium Myristate, Triethanolamine, Sodium Cocoate, Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Titanium Dioxide.

Thks, Carole

Detergents - Sodium Laureth Sulfate

Soap - Sodium Cocoate

IMO a "soap" that also contains a detergent product is a detergent bar, even if it contains soap as well.

Hey, You are close, Brown! My parents live on Lake Sutherland in PA!

I'm wondering why your GM soap was soft? Was it the same recipe as your other bars, just with GM as the liquid? Did you discount the others? All I do is fresh GM soaps...I'm SUPPOSED to do a tutorial here this month but my camera is MIA!

Very interesting thread. My M&P I asked about was the one made in Canada sold by BCN and Snowdrift Farms in Arizona. I never thought about it being a detergent bar. I like SFIC M&P as well, but the one I use has more lather. So SLS is detergent! Guess I'll have to read ingredients better. Thks, Carole

Hey, You are close, Brown! My parents live on Lake Sutherland in PA!

I'm wondering why your GM soap was soft? Was it the same recipe as your other bars, just with GM as the liquid? Did you discount the others? All I do is fresh GM soaps...I'm SUPPOSED to do a tutorial here this month but my camera is MIA!

Oh my, I may know your parents! How long have they lived here?

I'm not sure why my GM soap was soft, but as time goes by it is hardening up. I didn't do any discounting. I used the same amount of liquid whether it was GM or water. I wanted to see how the soap would differ using the same exact ingredients but using different methods. So far it has turned out to be an interesting experment. I'm going to leave the HP along for right now. My HP soap gave a whole new meaning to the word ugly :shocked2:

I'm going to be tweaking my recipe that I used and make CP GM soap and just plain soap.