IGI 6036 and Double Wicking

Has anyone tested the IGI 6036 in apothecary jars or the 18 oz. Ridge jars double wicked? If so, how was the meltpool depth and flame size? I am tempted to try this wax, but have bad luck double wicking some blends in apothecary jars. Guess I just need some encouragement before I order a slab. :o I need to find another wax for another candle line and I am getting discouraged.

I tried the Accu 30 and got weak flames in a jar similiar to the 16 oz. apothecary jar and the meltpool got too deep even with the flames getting too weak later in the burn. I tried a few different wicks and can tell it was going to be a problem. If I went up in size the flames would be torches in the beginning. I am not the only one that has experienced this with this wax. It single wicks fine in smaller jars other than a little difficult to get to the edge.

Thanks!

Sorry, I haven't had to double wick with this wax. I use the 16 oz apothecary that is almost 4" in diameter with a CDN 18 or CDN 20.

Maybe I'll pour one double wicked tonight if I get time and see how it goes. :smiley2:

Sorry, I haven't had to double wick with this wax. I use the 16 oz apothecary that is almost 4" in diameter with a CDN 18 or CDN 20.

Maybe I'll pour one double wicked tonight if I get time and see how it goes. :smiley2:

Hi,

Thanks for the response. :) That is great that you were able to single wick it. I do want to double wick, so I am curious as to how this wax does with it. I don't want you to go out of your way to run a double wick test, but if you are curious too and do run a test, please let me know how it goes. Thank you!

~Holly

Hi,

Thanks for the response. :) That is great that you were able to single wick it. I do want to double wick, so I am curious as to how this wax does with it. I don't want you to go out of your way to run a double wick test, but if you are curious too and do run a test, please let me know how it goes. Thank you!

~Holly

I am curious also. Things have been kinda slow right now so I've been itching to try something different. I hate being bored when I have so much wax sitting here begging to be made into a candle!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Holly. I double wicked down to cd 8s in a 10 oz. apoth. but the melt pool just got to deep even though the burn was ok. I meant to try smaller, but it just got to hot in the house to burn anything! I will probably try the single wick since the smallest cds I have are 7s. Could try smaller htps. Tried two htps 73 and was deep also. I really do like the looks of this wax. Cooler weather might help. Both hot and cold throw seems pretty good also. Beth

Hi Holly. I double wicked down to cd 8s in a 10 oz. apoth. but the melt pool just got to deep even though the burn was ok. I meant to try smaller, but it just got to hot in the house to burn anything! I will probably try the single wick since the smallest cds I have are 7s. Could try smaller htps. Tried two htps 73 and was deep also. I really do like the looks of this wax. Cooler weather might help. Both hot and cold throw seems pretty good also. Beth

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the heads up. I may order it anyway and see how it works in my one wick spa line. I am so burned out testing waxes. It is always one thing or the other. I still use the same soy and got used to its quirks.

Are you using a particular wax and trying to find a replacement or are you not using any wax and still looking? Can't it be a drag?

Thanks again. :)

~Holly

Still looking around. Had basically decided that a soy/para blend was what I wanted. After testing a bunch of waxes, I decided to try this after reading Tootie's test notes. Had been sort of leaning toward a 50/50 mix, but not sure whose. And, I really do like it. I think it smells better than some of the soys and blends. I know that sounds weird, but some have almost an unpleasant odor. Haven't seen any soot with all my wick changes either. I've also been trying paraffin pillars and canes. I'm sold on the canes, like the pillars (like digging potatoes, can't wait to see what you get!), and still want a nice apoth./or something as a container. Will need to pour more to see if this is finally my pick, but it sure seems possible. I thnk you might like this wax. Beth

I poured an 11 oz tureen with 6036 last night out and decided to test double wicking it. Since most of my jelly jar testers so far are taking an Eco 1, I started there...can't get much lower than that. Looks like it will work...here is a pic approaching the 3 hour mark (1st burn)...

tureen_3036.jpg

This wax burns out very quickly, and seems to hold a nice depth...unlike other soy blends I've tried (with more soy than para)...so far I'm liking this wax, but I need to get some testers cause my nose is fried from pouring!

Forgot to add, I've been testing CDs and Eco's in this wax and believe at this point I prefer the Eco's...

tureen_3036.jpg

Looks good! I don't mind it getting to the sides quickly. Most blends do if doubled wicked, but it is the depth that I don't like getting too deep. It may be better in the tureen than the apothecary because it is a lot more open and does not get as hot. Not so much with the 10 oz. apothecary but the 16 oz. will definitely make a difference. I will give it a try.

Not to get off the subject, but regarding the AB-10 container blend.....which do you think has the better hot throw (in one wicked candles)....AB-10 or GL-70-30 or are they about the same to you? My nose is fried as well, but I am comparing the AB-10 with the CB-30 in my spa line (one wick) and I think the CB-30's hot throw is better. I did not ask you to compare the AB-10 with the CB-30 because I cannot remember if you used the CB-30 enough or if you are even sure that was what you tested. I am so disgusted that it may not be throwing as well, because it is much easier to use and burns easier in a one wicked candle. :undecided