Need IDEAS!!!

LynnS

I received my paperwork yesterday for a festival.I have wanted to do this for 2 years and I am finally FREE that day.

It is a Chocolate Fest but every year a different theme.This year is Olympics.I am to decorate my booth with this theme and it is called "Summon the Chocolate".Please Help with some ideas for this theme.I just thought make things with chocolate but need to go with the theme. If it was kids or animals, flowers etc I can do that but what can I do with this.I am not looking for 1st place as there will be judging but need something presentable.

Help me please.

Thanks

LynnS

If you make candles, there are several really good chocolate scents to do candles and melts. How about pie candles? Or ice cream sundae candles?

If you're soap or b&b, same thing. Do a whole line of chocolate scented products. I love the chocolate scented soaps, milk baths, scrubs, lip balms, butters, etc, but, unfortunately, they didn't go over real well in my area. So, I've now got plenty to indulge myself.

I just did a Chocolate Festival and had two kinds of chocolately candles (Gourmet Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Truffle). I also did chocolate and raspberry bath salts, a bubbling cocoa milk bath, hint of chocolate cocoa butter lotion, chocolate syrup shower gel and a chocolate scrub. I would have done chocolate scented massage oil if I had the time. I also made up some Chocolate flavored lip balm and Mocha (chocolate and coffee) flavored lip balm.

One piece of advice -- put together some sets! I noticed that when the sales started flagging a little I put together a small set and a larger set and SOLD OUT of some items as a result. People really liked being able to get something all chocolate themed without having to figure it out themselves.

Hope some of those ideas help and spark something!

Well, duh! :embarasse I read that and then completely lost my thoughts when posting. Thanks for letting me know so that I can give this some thought. This time I'll try to think a bit more on track.

I do think that the catchy names is a really good idea, but I suck big time with that sort of thing. :tongue2:

I do candles, tarts, potpourri, lotion, car air fresheners,wood roses but not sure I will do those, room fresheners etc.Mostly tarts and candles. I have been doing some chocolate candles etc for the last year.I do like the these catchy names for re-naming some scents. Keep them coming and yes a THEME idea. I am clueless there.

NO I don't think ALL does need to be chocolate but of course it will be one of the main things. Really I am sure they have to understand not everyone wants all they buy to be chocolate.

Trust me some people around here say "OH food candles make me hungry so I cannot have them but if you sell a piece of chocolate fudge or cake and they will buy it.Even a whole cake or pound of fudge.LOL

LynnS

On the tops of candles, lightly drizzle plain ole paraffin (just barely) so it's visable like a frosting, but still see through. FO it with chocolate cake. If you are really good at it, somehow, on the edge of the circular cake, color it each one a different Olympic ring.

If you've got different colors of wood roses, grab 5, one of each color for the rings, lightly scent them with either the same FO, or complimentary ones, drill a small hole in the side to the other side, put them on an elastic string to use as a hanging scented thing. (Would end up looking like a necklace.)

Learn lip balms - they could be a HUGE indulgence looking piece that tastes great without breaking your pocket and go great in the gift baskets.

Maybe commission a CT'er on the bath and body side to offer up a Chocoholic pack. Send them some FO, same that you are using, have them whip up some CP soap, liquid soap, whatever then package that with one each of your items and sell it as a Candlelight Chocolate Creation.

Just a couple ideas - sorry I don't have any others on top of what people have mentioned.

If you do come up with some nifty names, you could incorporate other scents besides chocolate. A name like Marathon Man, for example, could be any of your items scented in a more manly fragrance. At least by renaming and maybe a little creative labeling and packaging you could do something other than the chocolate.

I'm also not familiar with most of the Olympics terminology, so maybe someone who is will chime in and make some suggestions.

Those are good ideas Miss Mary. I just do bases for hand soap. I can't make soap because of the lye.I cannot breathe.

Oh Yes Luci. I am stumped.As I got my paperwork I thought need to send payment ASAP.The contract is the most simple I have ever seen.BUT then it came to the theme. I might have to read some on Olympics.Sorry to say I just don't watch Olympics from the time they start to finish so don't know much on this event at all. :embarasse

Was thinking about this some more - you could also do some Greek type names as well (think Athens), like Greek God and Adonas for men or something like that and for the ladies:

http://www.caaws.ca/olympics/2006/history/olympic_games.cfm

Call something Melpomene to note the first woman in the Olypmics. Maybe make some plays on the first US medalist. Name your German Chocolate Cake after a German medalist?

Well you could gear it to be similar to things in Beijing too or along the summer Olympic events, which would include:

Gymnastics

Swimming

Track & Field

Soccer

Baseball/Softball (I believe)

and on and on.

or break it into one sport and pull out terminologies, like the vault, uneven bars, floor and balance beam for gymnastics.

Home run, no-hitter, batter up, bases loaded etc. for baseball and softball etc.

If you centered around an Olympic theme, find the symbolism for the rings and why the colors maybe. You could take and run with offering containers in the colors of the rings, but it might spark more interest to include a little history about an Olympic event or even the Olympics or Beijing.

Maybe offer something in the continent settings, something you feel is representative of each country and gear your products to that ... make gift baskets in the themes, raffle something off etc.

Good ideas Scented.You have me thinking about an Olympic basket to raffle. I will see if that is allowed.I know 1 show does not let you sell raffle tickets but I might be able do donate the proceeds for the cause this show is raising money for. It is Crime Stoppers. That is an idea. Proceeds of the Oympic basket will go to Crime Stoppers.It will have candles, melts and other things along with being decorated with the Olympic theme.I want a BIG basket for that to draw attention.

I have been looking on-line for some ideas and found things to buy.The place is in UK.I have never ordered out of the country. So that will be new to me.

LynnS

There you go. I bet they'd let you raffle for the cause.

Going back to the rings, which I believe symbolize the five main continents. So you could take a look at what each continent might have in similarity ... and scent your candles accordingly ... meaning something related to the lands of that continent.

OR ...

Since the flags of the countries include at least one or two of the colors symbolized in the rings, you could divide your display into say the blue ring, black ring, red ring, yellow ring and green rings and break your fragrances up to match?

I'd still offer Olympic trivia or maybe you have something called Olympic pursuit ... and make it like trivia pursuit geared at the Olympics and the Beijing. If someone answers all the questions right, they might get a prize or 10% off a purchase for that show or maybe even in the future.

And yes, your basket should be huge!! Make people want it since we have this thought process that bigger is better = more ... isn't that how it works?

I like the idea of displaying candles by colors of continents. Good Idea.Before I would tell people the food ones are here, the clean scents here etc. I better start taking some notes.

Never did a show that had a theme to decorate by. Yes some are called Pretzel Fest, Pumpkin Fest etc.I did corn cob sachets once and got a few shelf sitters to sit around.It was a squirrel with a corn cob and OMG people asked to buy them. If I had a 100 of them I could have sold them all.:shocked2: I had to put them up because people got upset I would not sell them. I told them for decoration only.

I was amazed of the theme because The Olympics is in August and the show in Sept but all year we think Olympics. 2008 Olympics.

LynnS

See if a hobby lobby type store has some of the flags of the world. I think you'll have loads of fun with this.

The main five continents listed are: Africa, the Americas (North and South), Asia, Europe and Oceania ... so that could get you to planning perhaps.

Could you make Gold, Silver and Bronze medal looking tarts?

I had another idea. My red white and blue layered candles.The only problem is they take forever and will people buy them???

Scented, with the continents do you know what color is what continent.When I said this is new to me it really really is. I guess another search???

There is going to be alot of publicity.A radio station is sponsoring this unique Fest. Last year the theme was moose. I looked at flexible molds and found some molds but I wasn't able to get in. They were full when I called.My neighbor told me about it. This year I am ahead of her.She doesn't get the info for the fest. Her Church does. She had no idea the theme is Oympics. I already have my ideas.

I'll look for some medal shaped molds. Another good idea.:)

I wonder if I can get this all on my table/tables??? LOL I will make a way.

LynnS

Oh you'll love this:

Answer is: The color rings do not represent continents. Each country that partipates is represented by the colors from their flag to the colors of the olympic rings. Some countries have one color in their flag represented while others have all the colors in their flag represented.

NOTE: Someone did post that CBS differentiated the colors into the five continents, which the International Olympic Committee does not assign color to any continent. So if you want to blame CBS and divide the rings ... try:

Yellow for Asia, blue for Europe, green for Australia, black for Africa, and red for the Americas (Though I would switch green to Europe and blue to Australia for the oceania).

Just for more idea possibilities:

This year's mascot: http://en.beijing2008.cn/spirit/beijing2008/graphic/n214068254.shtml

So they say no colors but CBS says there are colors. They picked one color from the flags. Now I can divide the colors and candles. Might be good to switch like you said. Europe and Australia.TO me easier.

Here are the ideas I have now.

Divide colored candles to continents.

Look for some type of medal mold.I do think that website in uk has some medals so might think about those too.

Make some red white and blue layered candles.Trust me only about 20.They take so long for each layer to dry.

Will look at Hobby Lobby for flags.

For the uk company website I found they had a centerpiece(a tree with all the flags on it)That would be neat.They had a cut out torch also.Maybe a couple of those and some bunting flag decoration for the tables.I am on a roll.

Like some have said change names of some candles. In parenthesis will tell the scent for people to know what they are getting.

Hope my booth won't be to gawdy. I am pretty good at decorating so will know if it is to much.Alot will be colored candles representing continents. Here here we have Europe, Australia etc. I can say I put my candles in order of the continents color(explain to judges). Couple of centerpieces, the flags, Couple torches, medal and tarts the shape of a medal, and layered candles(red,white and blue).After it is all together it will be nice.

LynnS

I was thinking that too. I am so tired and beat down that day I forget something.Get there and then after it is all over I remember what I was supposed to do and my intentions to do them. I need to make a list of extras to take.

I forgot!!!! After the theme ideas I need Chocolate items.What would a Chocolate Fest be WITHOUT chocolate?????

It is the 3rd year for this Fest so it is growing. Still Kinda new to alot of people.

LynnS