Anise Soap Question

ayshapooh

So my husband asked me about making anise soap for fishing and I was searching around trying to figure out a recipe for this. I seen one that said all coconut oil but was wondering if the recipe really makes a difference when making "fisherman soap" can I just use my usual CP soap recipe or does the different soap ingredients make a differnece for this type of soap? Now another question is, I have never made cp soap using EO's, how much do you use per lb of soap? I guess it probably depends on the EO? If so then with anise how much do you use per lb? Is there anything I should be aware of when making cp soap using eo's rather then fo's that is different? Well I'm off to do some more research!

Any help is appreciated :D

Sandy~WI

Hi,

I just make mine with a basic CP recipe, I do use a high percentage of coconut oil with it. I figure since its for men they usually like it to be more cleansing. I use 1/2 oz ppo. I think that is plenty strong enough. It is actually my only soap that I box, rather than cigar band. It's a very popular soap for me, but I can't stand the smell of it! :D

I use my basic CP recipe also. The Anise Seed Essential Oil is what is supposed to mask the human scent from the fish so it is my understanding the fixed oils can be whatever you like. In 5 pounds of soap I use 7 teaspoons of Anise Seed Essential Oil. It is pretty strong smelling but I like the smell.

I make a cp that is high in coconut oil also for the cleansing. I use anise eo at .5 oz ppo and it is strong. I have been thinking about .4 oz ppo in the next batch, it is a great seller even to those who do not fish. It also make great catfish bait, put a little chunk on the hook weith you bait and it attracts them. I have had a few repeat customers saying it works.

OK first - anise is for masking the fisherman's scent - so it doesn't really have to be super cleansing cause technically it's for before and during. The cleanup EO to remove the fish scent from the man is lemongrass - and I make a high CO soap for that and I think I go 0.7 oz ppo.

There's melt & pour version recipe here:

http://www.soapnuts.com/nutsmprecipes.html

Fisherman's Soap

Lynda Agen Alaskan Nights Soap Company

1 lb. M & P base

1/2 TB. anise EO

15 drops blue color

little fish (candy molds, ten to a sheet)

these I put one in each cavity of Pourette's oval mold, as I pour the clear M&P, which is 1# M&P and 1/2 Tbls anise EO. This makes a great soap according to my dad, who "Fishes to Live!"

Anise EO has been shown to attract fish.

***Use anise EO with caution, it can be harmful. Avoid during pregnancy.

The all coconut bar is for salt water. Normal soap does not lather in salt water, but a coconut bar does. Also superfat the coconut bar between 15-18% and it won't be drying.

Tracey

When I made a 100% co batch a couple months ago, DH talked me into adding star anise to it (he loves licorice). I used it at 0.5 oz ppo, and I agree with Lovelylathers, it's very strong~~you could easily go down to 0.4 oz ppo and still get a nice, strong scent.