What is the best way to remove Gel from the 5 gallon bucket, it comes in?

Candle Man

I have tried a knife but with very little results. This stuff is so tuff.

Has anyone tried the electric hot knife? I wonder if it works and if the quality of the knife is anygood, it looks cheeply made to be worth $40 bucks and $10 shipping. http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/equipment.html scroll down to fine the hot knife.

TIA - Candle Man

I feel your pain, Candle Man, every time I go into my bucket. I've bent big spoons, and a plain knife doesn't work. I haven't thought about an electric knife. I end up breaking a piece and pulling with all I've got. Not a pretty procedure. :o

Hey Candle Man!!!!!!!

I just want to say - I hate the buckets. I really hate them! I started ordering from Polywax - (sp? - it has been at least 5 years since I ordered) then Gelluminations - they send in plastic bags in a box.....woo hoo.

AS Vicky Said, a big Pair of sissors will do you wonders. I've cut up Hundreds of pounds of Gel for my roaster that way.. also a great way to make "ice cubes" out of gel. We take colored/scented gel, cut into pieces and then overpour for some of our "parfait" candles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Using just my hands, I work some away from the side with my fingertips, then grab hold of as much as I can, and rip it away from the rest. To prepare for your next use, tear away big chunks, and leave them in the bucket so that you'll have to simply break apart the big pieces rather than struggle getting it away from the sides.

• 1 year later...

I use those heavy 'meat cutting' scissors - with the black plastic and red circle on the hinge. I try to chop up half of each 50 pound box into little chunks that can be tossed into the coffee pots I use for melting.

Heavier scissors make for easier chopping. Just got a pair of serrated scissors which make jagged edges on paper. Would probably work well since the scissors weigh about a pound, but I use them for clipping wicks and don't want to cross-purposes.